WINDY CITY TIMES
||Alphawood chooses LGBTQ+ individual to head foundation
This article shared 733 times since Wed Oct 20, 2021
Alphawood Foundation Chicago announced Chirag G. Badlani as its newest executive director, effective Nov. 8.
Badlani succeeds Jim McDonough, who retired this month after leading the foundation since 2012 and who will remain Alphawood's legal counsel until next year.
Badlani is a partner at the Chicago law firm Hughes Socol Piers Resnick & Dym, Ltd., where he practices in the areas of civil rights, constitutional law, immigration law, and labor and employment. The National LGBTQ+ Bar Association and the Chicago Daily Law Bulletin have recognized Badlani for his civic and pro bono achievements.
"We are thrilled to welcome Chirag to Alphawood," said Chairma Fred Eychaner. "With his leadership, enthusiasm, and proven commitment to the Chicago community, we know the Foundation will be able to continue its important work supporting our many grantees."
Alphawood Foundation Chicago is a grant-making private foundation. It awards annual grants to organizations in and around Chicago, primarily in the areas of advocacy, architecture and preservation, arts, the environment, promotion, and protection of the rights of LGBTQ persons and people living with HIV/AIDS, and other human and civil rights.
This article shared 733 times since Wed Oct 20, 2021
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Autistic ChicanIndia queer artist Sabrina Zarco discusses creative process 2021-12-06|
- Sabrina Zarco is a ChicanIndia queer femme multi-media artist. She is also an activist, poet, cultural worker and community educator. Her visual artwork, or "artivist work," as Zarco calls it on her website, documents stories often ...
|ART Wrightwood 659 exhibits extended into 2022 2021-12-06|
- Two exhibitions currently on view at Wrightwood 659a private, non-collecting institution at 659 W. Wrightwood Ave. devoted to socially engaged art and to architecturewill be extended through Feb. 26, 2022. "Romanticism to Ruin: Two Lost Works ...
|ART 'Frida: Immersive Dream' coming to Germania Place in 2022 2021-11-30|
- Lighthouse Immersive, North America's leading producer of ground-breaking experiential art exhibits, and Maestro Immersive Art announce their newest immersive art installation, "Frida: Immersive Dream." This exhibition will run at Lighthouse ...
|MCA announces new curatorial leadership 2021-11-18|
- The Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago (MCA) announces the appointments of two new leaders to its curatorial teamRene Morales, as the James W. Alsdorf Chief Curator; and Jamillah James, as Manilow Senior Curator. Morales and James ...
|Steppenwolf opens Liz and Eric Lefkofsky Arts and Education Center 2021-11-04|
- On Nov. 2, Steppenwolf Theatre Company opened its new 50,000-square-foot theater building and education facility, the Liz and Eric Lefkofsky Arts and Education Center. Designed by architect Gordon Gill FAIA of Adrian Smith + Gordon Gill ...
|THEATER 'A Michael Martin Tribute' Nov. 11-28 2021-10-27|
- Curious Theatre Branch will host a three-week celebration of the solo performance monologues of the late Michael Martin, curated by Kelly Anchors. A Michael Martin Tribute will take place Nov. 11-28 at Pride Arts Center, 4139 ...
|Mayor Lightfoot, DCASE reveal more fall, holiday event details 2021-10-22|
--From a press release - CHICAGOMayor Lori E. Lightfoot and the Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events (DCASE) today announced more details for DCASE fall and holiday traditions as Chicago's vital arts and culture scene continues to safely and fully ...
|ATTRACTIONS Pizza pop-up, WNDR, Wrightwood 2021-10-22|
- Rewired's pizza pop-up: Rewired Pizza Cafe & Bar, 1102 W. Thorndale Ave., is getting in on the Halloween fun by paying homage to classic restaurant chains and "dressing up" as owner Daniel Barat's favorite pizza chain: ...
|Portrait series 'Still Searching' highlights missing Black women, children 2021-10-19|
--From a press release, video below - FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE. On Friday, Oct. 22, 2021 from 6:30 p.m.-9:30 p.m., Damon Lamar Reed, Nicole So Random, and 345 Art Gallery will collaborate to present Still Searching Art Exhibition at 345 Art Gallery in Chicago, ...
|3Arts awards nearly $1M to women artists, artists of color, Deaf, disabled artists 2021-10-18|
--From a press release - CHICAGO, IL (OCTOBER 18, 2021)—3Arts, the Chicago-based nonprofit grantmaking organization, will award Chicago artists with nearly $1 million in unrestricted cash grants during the 14th annual 3Arts Awards, taking place ...
|LGBT History Month: '40s and '50s instant photography gave LGBT people 'Safe/Haven' 2021-10-15|
- Two men dressed in drag for a tea party, and two women cuddled up at the beach. Today these might be benign photographs but, in the early 1950s, they were memories shuttered away from public view. ...
|ART Contemporary yet timeless exhibition 'Young, Gifted and Black' arrives at Gallery 400 2021-10-13|
- To be a Black art collector is to stand on the shoulders of a proud lineage. Throughout history, Black patrons have supported Black artists when nobody else did. Bernard Lumpkin—a New York City-based art patron, educator ...
|ART Van Gogh balloon celebrates installation's extension to Feb. 6 2021-10-11|
- Following a maiden flight in Toronto to herald the return of the city's "Immersive Van Gogh Exhibit," Lighthouse Immersive's Vincent van Gogh hot-air balloon made its way to Goebbert's Farm, in the Kane County village of ...
|THEATER REVIEW Songs for Nobodies 2021-10-07|
- Title: Songs for Nobodies. Playwright: Joanna Murray-Smith At: Northlight Theatre at the North Shore Center for the Arts, 9501 Skokie Blvd. Tickets: $30-$89. Runs through: Sunday, Oct. 31 You won't find their names in the history ...
|Chicago Inclusion Project offers anti-racism workshops for arts organizations 2021-10-05|
--From a press release - Chicago, IL—The staff of The Chicago Inclusion Project is excited to launch a new workshop and continuum developed by staff members Jessica Vann and Arti Ishak. The workshop, entitled "Being Anti-Racist: An Active Action," is designed ...