||Jann Wenner comments on women and Black musicians, later apologizes
This article shared 2203 times since Mon Sep 18, 2023
Openly gay Rolling Stone magazine founder Jann Wenner apologized for telling The New York Times that, for his book The Masters, he chose interviews with white male musicians who he called the "philosophers of rock" because Black and female musicians were not "articulate at that level," Deadline reported.
The apology took place hours after he was removed from the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation's board of directors. (Wenner started the foundation.)
At one point during the original interview, he said, "The people had to meet a couple criteria, but it was just kind of my personal interest and love of them," he said, adding "Insofar as the women, just none of them were as articulate enough on this intellectual level."
Wenner also said, "Stevie Wonder, genius, right? I suppose when you use a word as broad as 'masters,' the fault is using that word. Maybe Marvin Gaye, or Curtis Mayfield? I mean, they just didn't articulate at that level."
Per CNN, Wenner also stated, "For public relations sake, maybe I should have gone and found one Black and one woman artist to include here that didn't measure up to that same historical standard, just to avert this kind of criticism."
On Sept. 16, Wenner released a statement through The Masters publisher Little, Brown and Company, saying, "In my interview with The New York Times I made comments that diminished the contributions, genius and impact of Black and women artists and I apologize wholeheartedly for those remarks."
The Masters is slated to be released Sept. 26.
Wenner, 77, has been with partner Matt Nye since 1995.
This article shared 2203 times since Mon Sep 18, 2023
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|SHOWBIZ Former Disney star, women's sports, Latifah, Lenny Kravitz, 'Barbie' 2023-12-08|
Videos below - In an essay about mental health that ran in Teen Vogue, former Disney star Karan Brar came out as bisexual, Out noted. In the essay, Brar talked about moving out of his parents' place —something that ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Bodyshop,' Beyonce, Ani DiFranco, Billie Jean King 2023-12-01|
- The Breaking Glass Pictures film Bodyshop will be out on digital on Dec. 5, per a press release. The plot is described thusly: "The ghost of a young soldier sexually assaulted by his lieutenant says goodbye ...
|Jerry Mitchell bops into Boop! 2023-11-27|
- Director and choreographer Jerry Mitchell is bringing black-and-white Boop! The Betty Boop Musical into a world of color at the CIBC Theatre this winter. It's a pre-Broadway world premiere for the musical starring Jasmine Amy Rogers ...
|SHOWBIZ Billy Porter, queer novel, 'Tammy Faye,' queer DJ, Bella Ramsey 2023-11-24|
- Billy Porter released his long-awaited new album, Black Mona Lisa, via Island Records UK/Republic Records, and it's executive-produced by Justin Tranter, a press release noted. Porter said, "So many of the songs on my album have ...
|Photographer Irene Young launches book with stellar concerts 2023-11-20|
- "Something About the Women" was appropriately the closing song for two sold-out, stellar concerts at Berkeley's Freight & Salvage November 19, in celebration of the new book of the same name by Irene Young, the legendary ...
|SAVOR Fairmont Lodge, the MCA's newest sandwich and Krispy Kreme 2023-11-20|
- Owning it: As I have mentioned, The Ramova Theatre will officially reopen this fall in Chicago's Bridgeport neighborhood, at 3520 S. Halsted St., as a live music venue, craft brewery, beer garden and grill. However, news ...
|SHOWBIZ Music awards, military film, Tom of Finland, Yo-Yo Ma, 'Harley Quinn' 2023-11-17|
Video below - Brothers Osborne—a duo that includes gay brother TJ Osborne—won Vocal Duo of the Year for the sixth time at the recent CMA Awards, per a media release. Backstage, TJ told reporters, "I did not expect us ...
|'Jersey Boys' stars reunite as Midtown Men on Dec. 2 in Glen Ellyn 2023-11-14|
- The original stars of the Broadway hit Jersey BoysChristian Hoff, Michael Longoria, Daniel Reichard and J. Robert Spencerwill reunite as Midtown Men on Saturday, Dec. 2, at 7:30 p.m. at McAninch Arts Center's Belushi Performance Hall ...
|SHOWBIZ Kaytranada, NFL star, Alexandra Billings, video game, George Michael 2023-11-10|
- Out Montreal DJ/producer Kaytranada teased his latest single, "Out of Luck," with Mariah the Scientist, on Twitter, Complex noted. "THIS IS THE ANTHEM!" Kaytra wrote in his quote-tweet of the song playing at a release party. ...
|Chicago Gay Men's Chorus celebrates 40 years of holiday music in 'The Big 4-0, ho, ho' 2023-11-01|
--From a press release - CHICAGO, November 1, 2023 — Chicago Gay Men's Chorus celebrates its 40th Anniversary with The Big 4-0, ho, ho!, a celebration of CGMC's holiday favorites over the last 40 years. Featuring festive arrangements from current Artistic ...
|In Praise of Sondheim: Theo dedicates the rest of its season to a legendary composer 2023-10-31|
- Evanston’s Theo theater company didn't originally set out to devote the majority of its 2023-24 season to the late gay composer and lyricist Stephen Sondheim. But then the company's artistic leadership saw a creative Sondheim offer ...
|CABARET Karen Mason celebrating Davenport's 25th anniversary on Nov. 10-12 2023-10-30|
- On Nov. 10-12, award-winning vocalist, Broadway star, actress and recording artist Karen Mason will return in concert to celebrate the 25th anniversary of Chicago cabaret venue Davenport's, 1383 N. Milwaukee Ave. Mason was the first performer ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Queer Eye,' queer films, 'Gen V,' Christian musicians, soap actor 2023-10-27|
Video below - The original cast of the groundbreaking TV show Queer Eye for the Straight Guy will reunite after 20 years, per a press release. Carson Kressley, Thom Filicia, Ted Allen, Kyan Douglas and Jai Rodriguez are coming ...
|UPDATE: Illinois school district approves LGBTQ+ musical 'The Prom' 2023-10-25|
- After reconsidering a decision to postpone the event, Community Unit School District 300 will allow Hampshire High School to run its spring musical—The Prom, which is about ...
|Broadway's Andy Mientus lugs his Jug-Band to Chicago for the holidays 2023-10-24|
- Prepare to reconnect with your inner child through puppetry this holiday season with Jim Henson's Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas. Puppets will play onstage Nov. 15-Dec. 31 at the historic Fine Arts Building, 410 South Michigan Ave., ...