WINDY CITY TIMES
||LGBTQ+-rights activist Jim Obergefell announces political run
This article shared 1117 times since Tue Jan 18, 2022
Jim Obergefellthe LGBTQ+-rights activist and named plaintiff in the Supreme Court case that legalized same-sex marriage nationwideannounced Jan. 18 that he is launching a bid for the Ohio state House, CNN.com reported.
"I took a history-making fight for equal rights all the way to the US Supreme Court and won. I don't mind being the underdog, and I'm not afraid to take on any issue when it's the right thing to do. I will bring that same fighting spirit as your state representative," Obergefell said in a video posted to Twitter.
Obergefell, a Democrat, is running for Ohio's 89th House District, which includes Erie and Ottawa counties.
Obergefell married John Arthur in 2013, months before Arthur died. When Arthur died, Obergefell sued to be recognized as Arthur's spouse on his death certificate.
The landmark 2015 Supreme Court opinion bearing Obergefell's name ruled that same-sex couples can marry nationwide.
The full article is at www.cnn.com/2022/01/18/politics/jim-obergefell-ohio-house/index.html .
This article shared 1117 times since Tue Jan 18, 2022
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|NATIONAL Idaho groups, Clay Aiken, Radio Milwaukee, Louisville school 2022-05-22|
- In northern Idaho, two groups with different agendas plan to hold events on the same day (June 11) at Coeur d'Alene City Parkand both organizations have issued statements, according to the Bonner County Daily Bee. The ...
|WORLD Nigeria protest, 'Flag in the Map,' Belgium, McDonald's 2022-05-22|
- Dressed in rainbow-colored vests, members of the LGBTQ+ community marched in a dangerous demonstration in Nigeria's capital, Abuja, to protest a bill introduced by lawmakers in Nigeria's lower house of parliament last month seeking to ban ...
|Penn. LGBTQ+ candidates mostly suffer losses on primary night 2022-05-21|
- LGBTQ+ candidates running for the U.S. Senate, U.S. House, lieutenant governor and a seat in the Pennsylvania House of Representatives in Philadelphia's "gayborhood" each lost their races in the Keystone State's May 17 Democratic primary, The ...
|POLITICS GOP candidate Irvin called Trump an 'idiot,' backed LGBTQ+s 2022-05-16|
- GOP gubernatorial candidate and current Aurora Mayor Richard Irvin has dodged talking about former U.S. President Donald Trump (and many other topics)but recently revealed records show how Irvin reportedly felt ...
|Police officer enters Chicago mayoral race 2022-05-16|
- Longtime Chicago police officer Frederick Collins has jumped into the Chicago mayoral raceand it's not his first. Collins also ran for mayor eight years ago. His 2014 interview with Windy ...
|WORLD Eswatini ruling, Toronto deaths, Greece, blood donations 2022-05-15|
- The High Court in Eswatini (formerly Swaziland) rejected an appeal for legal recognition by the local LGBTQ+-rights group Eswatini Sexual & Gender Minorities, citing "laws … prevailing in the kingdom" ...
|NATIONAL New York synod, Danica Roem, legal action, Pride news, PFLAG 2022-05-15|
- The Metropolitan New York Synod (MNYS), the regional body of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, announced Christopher Vergara as its newly elected vice president, according to a press release. Vergara is the first openly gay ...
|PASSAGES Urvashi Vaid dies, The National LGBTQ Task Force releases statement 2022-05-14|
-- From a press release - WASHINGTON, DC……Legendary attorney, LGBTQ activist, and author Urvashi Vaid, known for her extensive career an advocate for LGBTQ rights, women's rights, anti-war efforts, immigration justice and many other social causes ...
|Pro-choice coalition to rally May 14 in Chicago's Union Park 2022-05-13|
-- From a press release - 'Rally for Abortion Justice,' part of a nationwide 'Bans Off Our Bodies' day of action will takes place in Union Park, 1501 W. Randolph St. on Saturday, May 14 at 9:30 a.m. The crowd may be 25,000 strong according to organizers. ...
|Gov. Pritzker signs legislation addressing rise in organized retail thefts 2022-05-13|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO — On May 13, Illinois Gov. JB Pritzker joined Attorney General Kwame Raoul, lawmakers, advocates and law-enforcement officials to sign legislation designed to combat a nationwide rise in coordinated retail thefts. "This new law represents ...
|State rep joins Chicago mayoral race 2022-05-13|
- On May 12, Illinois state Rep. Kam Buckner announced his candidacy for Chicago mayor, stating, "We cannot wait a day longer for a safe and just Chicago for all of us," The Chicago Tribune reported. Buckner ...
| Lightfoot, City Clerk Valencia announce partnership with UN Women 2022-05-10|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot and City Clerk Anna Valencia announced a partnership with UN Women's Global Flagship Program, Safe Cities and Safe Public Spaces. The initiative responds to sexual violence against women and girls ...
|Lightfoot announces a 'Justice for All Pledge' based on equity and access 2022-05-09|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO Today, Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot joined reproductive justice leaders to announce the Justice For All Pledge, in response to the leaked draft opinion by the majority of the Supreme Court of the United States ...
|NATIONAL Rainbow flagpole, Washington Blade, Don Lemon, Black leaders 2022-05-08|
- Four years after the Trump Administration abruptly nixed plans to bring a rainbow flag to federal land adjacent to NYC's Christopher Park, the Biden Administration is planning to install a permanent flagpole at the park, Gay ...
|COVID Indoor masking 'strongly recommended' for Chicago as numbers rise 2022-05-06|
- With COVID-19 cases continuing to gradually increase, Cook County and the City of Chicago moved from "Low" into the "Medium" COVID-19 Community Level, the Chicago Department of Public Health (CDPH) announced in a press release. In ...