Ald. Jessie Fuentes (26th Ward) has sued the federal government over a confrontation with immigration agents inside Humboldt Park Health Hospital during last year’s Operation Midway Blitz.

The lawsuit, filed May 18 in federal court, alleges agents unlawfully shoved, handcuffed and threatened Fuentes while she advocated for a constituent in ICE custody at the hospital.

“Throughout Operation Midway Blitz, masked federal agents were terrorizing our communities, including using violence against this elected official,” Fuentes said in a statement after filing the lawsuit. “We must stand up for our rights and demand accountability.”

Federal agents handcuffed Ald. Jessie Fuentes and threatned to arrest her on Oct. 3, 2025. Screengrabs are from a provided video

The lawsuit stems from an Oct. 3, 2025, confrontation inside Humboldt Park Health Hospital, 1044 N. Francisco Ave., during the Trump administration’s escalating immigration crackdown in Chicago last fall.

Fuentes arrived at the hospital to support a man who was injured during a brief chase with ICE agents and was detained inside the emergency room, according to the lawsuit. The complaint states Fuentes identified herself as an elected official and repeatedly asked agents whether they had a warrant before the incident.

Video of the encounter, which circulated widely online last fall, appeared to show agents physically restraining and handcuffing Fuentes inside the hospital before escorting her outside.

Fuentes previously filed a federal administrative claim against the U.S. Department of Homeland Security under the Federal Tort Claims Act in October, a precursor to formally filing suit in federal court. According to the new complaint, the federal government failed to respond within the timeframe established under federal law, allowing the lawsuit to proceed.

“By filing this lawsuit, Ald. Fuentes is showing her community and her constituency the importance of standing up and holding accountable a government whose agents act as if they are above the law,” said attorney Jan Susler of the People’s Law Office, which is representing Fuentes in the suit.

The lawsuit accuses federal agents of battery, assault, false arrest, false imprisonment and intentional infliction of emotional distress, among other claims. Fuentes alleges she suffered injuries including shoulder pain, anxiety, nightmares and emotional distress following the encounter.

The confrontation quickly became one of the most high-profile flashpoints of Operation Midway Blitz, a sweeping federal immigration crackdown that sparked protests across Chicago and drew criticism from immigrant rights advocates, elected officials and civil liberties organizations.

The lawsuit also references broader allegations tied to the operation, including the use of chemical agents and rubber bullets against protesters outside the Broadview ICE detention facility. The complaint characterizes the crackdown as one that “terroriz[ed] the civilian population throughout Chicago.”

Fuentes has repeatedly argued that the confrontation reflected broader concerns about transparency, accountability and the conduct of federal immigration agents operating in Chicago communities during the crackdown.

The lawsuit seeks compensatory damages, attorneys’ fees and additional relief deemed appropriate by the court.