WINDY CITY TIMES DOWNLOAD PDF ISSUE
||Orgasm, Inc.: Sexy title, political film
by Tracy Baim
Medical and pharmaceutical interference in what are often problems fixable through more basic solutions is the focus of this excellent new documentary from filmmaker Liz Canner. Orgasm, Inc., is showing at the Dyke Delicious series at Chicago Filmmakers appropriately on Valentine's Weekend, Sat., Feb. 13, 7 p.m. social, 8 p.m. screening, $10, 5243 N. Clark St., 773-293-1447.
Canner's access to people working on drugs and surgical solutions to the newly created disease "Female Sexual Dysfunction" or FSD shows just how compromised our Western medicine really is. FSD in fact was a disease diagnosis pushed in part by pharmaceutical companies developing the female equivalent to Viagra for men. The concern is, the orgasm-related problems many women face are far more complex than men experience, and in fact many women interviewed had orgasms, they just thought they were not "normal" because they did not have an orgasm during intercourse.
This is not a lesbian film, and in fact that's the only disappointing aspect because Canner did not address lesbian sexuality at all except in a short, funny clip about a woman who is now happier with her sex life now that she's with a woman. But the film is still a wonderful behind-the-scenes investigation.
Canner's access started several years ago when she was hired to edit erotic videos for an unusual pharmaceutical company using the films to gauge sexual response in women. Because she worked with the company, she was able to get ground-floor interviews as the company, parallel to others, worked on a "female Viagra." The company spokespeople were surprisingly candid with Canner, perhaps both optimistic and naïve to her intentions. They later refused to return her calls.
Canner's research is very compelling. She looks at other companies and their drug trials, surgical procedures ( including plastic surgery to make women "pretty" down there ) , and pushes to find medical/pharma solutions to problems that might be solved otherwise. Especially interesting was a woman sales rep for a vaginal cosmetic surgery company she was conflicted about the message it sent to women.
The film is also funny, including an animated "race" depicting the battle to win the FSD drug war.
There are heroes and no-nonsense activists, but Canner is also not just demonizing all the medical/pharma folks. Some seem to actually believe what they are selling, and in fact some problems may have a medical basis. But Canner shows that it is dangerous, no matter what the problem, to have the phama industry involved in actually "creating" a disease where one did not exist before.
I watched this film with a group of women, including someone in the pharmaceutical industry, and she was impressed with the approach, as were the others. We laughed and were shocked, and especially felt very well informed after the 73-minute film was over.
If Orgasm, Inc. wasn't so sadly a true documentary, it could have passed for a very funny mokumentary.
See www.orgasminc.org .
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Brittany Devon meets a 'Platonic Girlfriend' 2021-09-15|
- Queer, genderfluid actor Brittany Devon has created a brand new project to explore with Platonic Girlfriend. It is the story of a relationship between straight woman Alice and a queer, nonbinary person named Dev. Devon stars ...
|THEATER Out actor Dan Butler to be in 'When Harry Met Rehab' 2021-09-15|
- Don Clark, a Chicago-based film/theater producer as well as co-owner of the Chicago Magic Lounge, will present the world premiere of When Harry Met Rehaba comedy that takes sobriety seriously and is based loosely on the ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Boy Meets Boy,' Jennifer Hudson, 'SVU,' tennis honor, ABBA 2021-09-12|
- Ariztical Entertainment is releasing the German movie Boy Meets Boy on DVD and VOD on Oct. 26. According to a press release, the plot of the 70-minute movie is as follows: "Harry has been partying for ...
|MOVES Talking about 'Everybody's Talking About Jamie' 2021-09-08|
- The new movie Everybody's Talking About Jamie tells the inspiring story of Jamie New, a young drag artist who overcomes hardship and homophobia in Sheffield, England. Out actor Max Harwood stars as New, who gets by ...
|Survivor shares the story of trauma and thriving in 'Untold' 2021-09-07|
- WARNING: This article contains material of a graphic nature. Gina M. Garcia is finally sharing her story of thriving after trauma in her new docu-drama biography, Untold: This is My Story, which premieres Sept. 6 at ...
|MOVIES Fall films harvest famous names for LGBTQ+ stories 2021-09-01|
- The film industry is featuring world-renowned names like Lady Gaga, Truman Capote and Tammy Faye on the big screen this fall season. Award-winning musicals, true-life stories and far-out fiction are all part of the fun in ...
|MOVIES 'On Broadway' to open Sept. 10 in Highland Park 2021-09-01|
- As theatergoers prepare for the return of Broadway after an unprecedented absence of 18 months, Kino Lorber is releasing Academy Award nominee Oren Jacoby's documentary On Broadway. The tribute to one of the most vibrant ...
|SHOWBIZ Billy Porter, 'Death Drop,' Brandi Carlile, vintage films, Gaga 2021-08-29|
- Billy Porter will direct a queer teen comedy feature titled To Be Real for Amazon Studios, which is being helmed by Gabrielle Union's I'll Have Another Productions, NME.com noted. Porter, who is currently working on his ...
|EVENTS Celebrity attendees named for Wizard World Chicago 2021-08-28|
- William Shatner (Star Trek; TV's Boston Legal), Michael Rooker (Guardians of the Galaxy, TV's The Walking Dead), Matthew Lewis (All Creatures Great and Small), James Marsters (TV series Buffy the ...
|TV Netflix animated series 'Chicago Party Aunt' debuts Sept. 17 2021-08-27|
- The LGBTQ-inclusive series Chicago Party Aunt will debut on Netflix on Friday, Sept. 17. Inspired by the popular Twitter account Chicago Party Aunt, this eight-episode adult animated comedy follows Diane Dunbrowski and nephew Daniel as they ...
|Reeling: The Chicago LGBTQ+ International Film Festival announces full slate 2021-08-25|
--From a press release - CHICAGO, Illinois — Reeling: The Chicago LGBTQ+ International Film Festival today announced the full slate of programming for 2021, opening September 23, 2021 at the Music Box Theatre (3733 N. Southport Ave.) and running September 24 ...
|MOVIES 'Mr. SOUL!' looks at groundbreaking '60s show and Black, gay host 2021-08-23|
- Al Green, Stevie Wonder, Patti LaBelle, Gladys Knight, Nikki Giovanni, James Baldwin, Cicely Tyson, Harry Belafonte, Muhammad Ali, The Last Poets, Earth, Wind & Fire, Sidney Poitier, Mavis Staples and even a teenaged Arsenio Hall were ...
|SHOWBIZ RuPaul, GALECA toast, Elliot Page, 'Chippendales,' bi model 2021-08-22|
- RuPaul revealed a new wax figure at Madame Tussauds Las Vegas, a press release noted. The all-new Rainbow Runway experience invites guests to "meet" and take cues from the most commercially successful drag queen of all ...
|MUSIC Lyric Opera of Chicago's 'Pagliacci' on film 2021-08-18|
- Lyric Opera of Chicago announced that registration is now open for audiences to secure a free link to screen the new, original film production of Leoncavallo's Pagliacci, filmed at the Lyric Opera House. Audiences can now ...
|MOVIES Candyman 'Say It. I Dare You' challenge Aug. 21-22 in Chicago 2021-08-17|
- The Candyman "Say it. I Dare You!" challengean interactive pop-up experiencewill take place Aug. 21-22, 12-8 p.m., at Pioneer Court, 401 N. Michigan Ave. Guests are invited to enter a dark room where they are challenged ...