WINDY CITY TIMES
||Ahmaud Arbery's killers sentenced to life
This article shared 1024 times since Fri Jan 7, 2022
On Jan. 7, three white men who chased and murdered Ahmaud Arbery were sentenced to life in prison in a Georgia courthouse for the 25-year-old's murder in 2020.
According to CNN.com, Travis McMichael, 35; his father, Gregory McMichael, 66; and neighbor William "Roddie" Bryan, 52, were convicted in November on charges including felony murder for Arbery's death.
Judge Timothy Walmsley sentenced the McMichaels to life in prison without the possibility of parole. He sentenced Bryan to life in prison with the possibility of parole. Bryan will be eligible for parole under Georgia law only after he has served 30 years in prison because he was convicted of serious violent felonies.
Although murder is punishable by death in Georgia, lead prosecutor Linda Dunikoski asked for life sentences for all three men.
This article shared 1024 times since Fri Jan 7, 2022
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Judge: Kevin Spacey owes almost $31 million 2022-08-04|
- On Aug. 4, Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Mel Red Recana confirmed that embattled actor Kevin Spacey must pay House of Cards producer MRC nearly $31 million for alleged sexual misconduct behind the scenes of the ...
|Committee makes recommendations for expanded court service for Cook County domestic-violence victims 2022-07-29|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO (July 29, 2022) — The Circuit Court of Cook County Committee on Domestic Violence Court has developed a plan to improve court access to help domestic violence victims, which will include an after-hours pilot program ...
|GoFundMe page for UpRising Bakery raises thousands of dollars 2022-07-25|
- A GoFundMe page for Lake in the Hills venue UpRising Bakery and Cafe—an LGBTQ+-owned site that was the subject of protests and vandalism after planning to host a family-friendly drag show that was later canceled—has raised ...
|Man arrested for vandalism of LGBTQ+-owned suburban bakery 2022-07-24|
- Authorities in Lake in the Hills, a suburb of Chicago, have made an arrest in the case of the vandalism of a bakery that had to cancel an all-ages drag show because of the crime, ABC 7 Chicago reported. Joseph I. ...
|NATIONAL Miami textbooks, Lia Thomas, Florida churches, Key West figure dies 2022-07-24|
- Miami-Dade County students could go months without sex-education books after school board members, by a five-to-four vote, rejected two proposed textbooks over concerns they violate the state's Parental Rights in Education bill, known by opponents as ...
|Man indicted for attacking men in D.C. for their sexual orientation 2022-07-15|
- A federal grand jury returned an indictment charging Michael Thomas Pruden, 48, with five counts of assault on federal land, one count of impersonating a federal officer and a hate-crimes sentencing enhancement alleging that Pruden assaulted ...
|More than 500 women sue Uber over claims of sexual assault 2022-07-14|
- Uber is being sued by more than 500 women who claim they were assaulted by drivers who use the ride-hailing platform, CNBC reported. The complaintfiled in San Francisco County Superior Courtclaims that "women passengers in multiple ...
|Kevin Spacey pleads not guilty in London in sexual-assault case 2022-07-14|
- On July 14, two-time Oscar-winning actor Kevin Spacey pled not guilty of sexual assault in London's Central Criminal Court, according to WAGM-TV. The former House of Cards star, who ran London's Old Vic theater between 2004 ...
|Reports: Chicago trans woman murdered in West Englewood neighborhood 2022-07-13|
- A Chicago trans woman was attacked and died the late evening of July 11/early morning of July 12, according to reports. An individual was found with multiple stab wounds after Chicago Police Department (CPD) answered a ...
|John Pennycuff's memorial library at Unity Park is graffitied 2022-07-10|
- The John Pennycuff Little Library, at Chicago's Unity Park, was recently sprayed with graffiti. Robert Castillo, Pennycuff's surviving husband, stated on Facebook that some tried to cover the original tagging with their own rainbow-hued graffiti. ...
|Former Japanese prime minister dies after being shot 2022-07-08|
- Former Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe died on July 8 after being shot while giving a campaign speech on a street in central Japan, CNN reported, citing public broadcaster NHK. Japanese publication Nikkei also reported that ...
|'Cheer' star receives prison sentence 2022-07-07|
- On July 6, Jerry Harris, the former star of hit Netflix docuseries Cheer, has been sentenced to 12 years in federal prison for child pornography soliciting sex from minors, Variety noted, citing USA Today. Harris, 22, ...
|Jeffrey Epstein cohort Ghislaine Maxwell sentenced to 20 years 2022-06-28|
- On June 28, Ghislaine Maxwell was sentenced to 20 years in federal prison for carrying out a years-long scheme with her longtime confidante (and former boyfriend) Jeffrey Epstein to groom and sexually abuse underage girls, media ...
|Mass shooting takes place at Norwegian gay club 2022-06-25|
- Oslo's annual Pride parade was canceled June 25 following a deadly shooting at a gay bar that Norwegian police are investigating as a possible terrorist attack, CNN reported. Two people were killed and eight others taken ...
|Murdered man's brother continues search for information about 2004 killing 2022-06-24|
Video below - A Rockford man is continuing to search for clues about the circumstances surrounding his brother's 2004 murder in Chicago's Lake View neighborhood. Kevin Clewer was found murdered in his apartment on the 3400 block of North ...