WINDY CITY TIMES
||Ahmaud Arbery's killers sentenced to life
This article shared 452 times since Fri Jan 7, 2022
On Jan. 7, three white men who chased and murdered Ahmaud Arbery were sentenced to life in prison in a Georgia courthouse for the 25-year-old's murder in 2020.
According to CNN.com, Travis McMichael, 35; his father, Gregory McMichael, 66; and neighbor William "Roddie" Bryan, 52, were convicted in November on charges including felony murder for Arbery's death.
Judge Timothy Walmsley sentenced the McMichaels to life in prison without the possibility of parole. He sentenced Bryan to life in prison with the possibility of parole. Bryan will be eligible for parole under Georgia law only after he has served 30 years in prison because he was convicted of serious violent felonies.
Although murder is punishable by death in Georgia, lead prosecutor Linda Dunikoski asked for life sentences for all three men.
This article shared 452 times since Fri Jan 7, 2022
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|With her sexual orientation called a motive to kill, she's now appealing for clemency 2022-01-28|
- This story was initially produced by Injustice Watch, a nonprofit newsroom focused on exposing institutional failures that obstruct justice and equality. Subscribe to their weekly newsletter here. Prosecutors in Bernina Mata's 1999 murder trial made ...
|Smollett to be sentenced March 10 2022-01-28|
- On Jan. 27, a judge set an in-person sentencing hearing for March 10 for embattled actor Jussie Smollett (Alien Covenant; TV's Empire), who was convicted by a jury last December of faking a hate crime attack ...
|Ex-NU professor sentenced for fatally stabbing boyfriend 2022-01-26|
- On Jan. 25, former Northwestern University professor Wyndham Lathamwho, in October 2021, was found guilty of first-degree murder in the stabbing death of Trenton Cornellwas sentenced to 53 years in prison, WGN-TV reported. Lathem, 47, was ...
|WORLD Namibia ruling, crimes, LGBTQ+ film festival, blogger sentenced 2022-01-23|
- Namibia's High Court ruled against two same-sex couples fighting for recognition of their marriages, with Judge Hannelie Prinsloo saying she agreed with them but was bound by the nation's prohibition of same-sex relations, Reuters reported. Daniel ...
|Chief Judge Evans responds to Mayor Lightfoot's request on electronic monitoring 2022-01-18|
-- Press release from Office of the Chief Judge Cook County Circuit Court - Chief Judge Timothy C. Evans responded Jan. 19 to Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot's request for a moratorium on use of electronic monitoring for defendants accused of certain violent crimes by pointing out the national and state ...
|Amariey Lej, 20 year old Black trans woman, killed in Pennsylvania 2022-01-12|
-- From a NBJC press release - WILKINSBURG, PA- The National Black Justice Coalition (NBJC) mourns the loss of Amariey Lej, a 20-year-old Black transgender woman. Amariey was shot and found lying in the streets of Wilkinsburg, Pennsylvania, on January 1, 2022. Lej ...
|Duval Princess, 24 year old Black trans woman, found shot to death in Florida 2022-01-12|
--From a NBJC press release - FLORIDA — The National Black Justice Coalition mourns the loss of Duval Princess, a 24-year-old Black transgender woman. Princess was found shot in a car at Highland Square shopping center in Jacksonville, Florida, on January 3, ...
|Trans woman killed at Indianapolis nightclub 2021-12-31|
- Ke'Yahonna Stone, a 32-year-old trans woman and community advocate, died after being shot in the parking lot of an Indianapolis nightclub, LGBTQ Nation reported. The shooting occurred early Dec. 26 outside the Epic Ultra Lounge. Stone ...
|Jury reaches verdict in Ghislaine Maxwell case 2021-12-29|
- On Dec. 29, jury found Ghislaine Maxwell guilty on five of six counts related to her role in Jeffrey Epstein's sexual abuse of minor girls between 1994 and 2004, CNN.com reported. The trial, which took place ...
|Judge orders release of report on handling of Smollett case 2021-12-20|
- On Dec. 20, Cook County Judge Michael Toomin authorized the release of a report exploring the way Cook County prosecutors and Chicago police handled the Jussie Smollett matter, The Chicago Tribune reported. The move came after ...
|USA Gymnastics, USOPC reach $380M settlement with abuse victims 2021-12-14|
- On Dec. 13, a federal bankruptcy court in Indianapolis confirmed a $380-million settlement between USA Gymnastics and the U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Committee with hundreds of victims of former national team doctor Larry Nassar, among others, ...
|VIEWS Will Smollett's hoax affect public perception of hate crimes? 2021-12-13|
- Former Empire actor Jussie Smollett was recently found guilty on five of the six counts of felony disorderly conduct for concocting an elaborate racist and homophobic assault against himself. Each Class 4 felony count can land ...
|Smollett guilty on five counts 2021-12-09|
- After over nine hours of deliberation, a jury found actor Jussie Smollett guilty Dec. 9 of faking an anti-gay hate crime against himself in Streeterville on Jan. 2019, according to multiple reports. Smollett was guilty of ...
|Remembering Ciara Minaj Carter Frazier 2021-12-08|
Trans Omnibus Project - "And hold that pose for me." That's what Ciara Minaj Carter Frazier's family would hear in the middle of the night, as Ciara was up late voguing, said her sister Lunetta Frazier. "We definitely miss her, ...
|Remembering Tyianna Alexander 2021-12-08|
Trans Omnibus Project - Chicagoan Tyianna Alexander, also known as Davarea Alexander, was the first trans woman to die by murder in the city in 2021. She was 28. Alexander was shot to death the morning of Jan. 6 at the 800 block of West ...