||BETTY in Concert at Park West Oct. 20
Band featured on Showtime's The L Word perform at Windy City Times' 20th anniversary Show
This article shared 10964 times since Thu Aug 4, 2005
Chicago – BETTY, the band featured on the Showtime TV hit The L Word, returns to Chicago this fall for the first time since their musical was staged here for six weeks in the summer of 2004.
Windy City Media Group is hosting the 'Platinum Concert' at the Park West on Thursday, October 20. The concert will also serve as a 20th anniversary awards program for Windy City Times, founded in September of 1985. Windy City Times will honor long-time contributors and advertisers, and will acknowledge the milestone with a fun, uplifting night of music and celebration.
The Platinum Concert will feature the pop group BETTY, whose appearances and title track on Showtime's The L Word last season have propelled their 20-year career in a whole new mainstream direction. BETTY is a five-piece pop rock alternative band from New York City. Fronted by three full-on females, the band's unique sound is based on the "spine-tingling harmonies" ( Billboard ) of songwriters Amy Ziff, Alyson Palmer and Elizabeth Ziff layered over propulsive guitars and a fat-bottomed rhythm section.
Also on the Platinum Concert bill with be local alternative rock artists Gary Blakely with Joey London, the band Stewed Tomatoes and Windy City Times' Gay Idol 2005 winner Kerri Grant. There will be special guest hosts, in addition to Amy Matheny and Jim Bennett of Windy City Radio.
'BETTY rocked Chicago last summer, and rocked the airwaves this past TV season,' said WCT Publisher Tracy Baim. 'We want to mark our 20 years of serving the community with a great concert and awards show.'
The Platinum Concert will feature a VIP reception and awards presentation at 6 p.m. with the concert portion of the night beginning at 7 p.m. Tickets for the concert will be $25. Tickets will be $50 for the VIP reception and concert, which will include hors d'oeuvres and special L Word giveaways and other great prizes. A portion of the ticket sales will benefit the Gay Games VII.
Park West is located at 322 W. Armitage, Chicago. Tickets can be purchased by logging on to www.WindyCityMediaGroup.com or by calling 773-871-7610. For more information on the event please contact WindyCityMedia@aol.com or call 773-871-7610.
This event is sponsored by Windy City Media Group and Hilton Garden Inn of Chicago.
Order tickets at www.windycitytimes.com/concerts.html
This article shared 10964 times since Thu Aug 4, 2005
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Chicago Filmmakers awards $100,000 to local social injustice digital media projects 2021-07-20|
--From a press release - (July 20, 2021 — Chicago, IL) Chicago Filmmakers is pleased to announce that the Chicago Digital Media Production Fund (CDMPF) has awarded a total of $100,000 in grants to eight Chicago artists for the production of ...
|GLAAD Studio Responsibility Index shows more LGBTQ character screen time, not so for trans 2021-07-15|
--From a press release - Los Angeles, CA - Thursday, July 15, 2021 - GLAAD, the world's largest LGBTQ media advocacy organization, today released its ninth annual Studio Responsibility Index (SRI), a study that maps the quantity, quality, and diversity of ...
|Association of LGBTQ Journalists names 2021 Excellence in Journalism awardees 2021-07-14|
--From a press release - WASHINGTON, D.C. (July 14, 2021) — Today, NLGJA: The Association of LGBTQ Journalists announced the recipients of its 2021 Excellence in Journalism Awards and recognized exemplary work produced in 2020. ...
|Supreme Court refuses to hear anti-gay florist's case 2021-07-03|
- On July 2, the U.S. Supreme Court declined to hear the case of a florist who refused to provide services for a same-sex weddingleaving in place a decision that she broke state anti-discrimination laws, media outlets ...
|Making Gay History Podcast to launch Season 9:"Coming of Age During the AIDS Crisis" 2021-06-24|
--From a press release - NEW YORK, NY — Thursday, June 24, 2021 — The award-winning Making Gay History podcast will debut its ninth season, "Coming of Age During the AIDS Crisis," on July 1, 2021. After eight seasons of episodes ...
- "I like dick. 'Are you gay?' Where've you been? I'm REALLY gay. I love it. I love being gay. Happy Pride everybody." Adam Lambert's response when someone on social media asked if he's gay. Asked and ...
|One dead, another injured after Florida Pride incident
- In Florida, two pedestrians at a Wilton Manors Pride parade on June 19 were hit by a truck, leaving one dead and the other injured, according to media reports. Video from CNN affiliate WPLG showed a ...
|Report: Major corporations celebrating Pride month also funding Fox' anti-LGBTQ+ programming 2021-06-18|
--From a press release - WASHINGTON, DC — According to a new report from Media Matters for America, a nonprofit media watchdog, major corporations that are publicly celebrating LGBTQ+ Pride Month are also simultaneously advertising on Fox News, funding the network's ...
|Sisters in Cinema presents Sister Outsider Juneteenth Celebration 2021-06-16|
--From a press release - CHICAGO, IL- Sisters in Cinema, a Chicago-based 501(c)3 recently in the news for breaking ground on their new Media Arts Center, Is inviting all to participate in their inaugural Sister Outsider: Juneteenth Celebration on Saturday, June ...
|GLAAD at Pride: Protect the most vulnerable among us 2021-06-01|
--From a press release - New York, NY - Tuesday, June 1, 2021 - GLAAD, the world's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) media advocacy organization, today released a statement to honor the start of Pride Month, highlighting the ...
|Remembering Kay "Tobin" Lahusen 2021-05-29|
- Much of LGBTQ history, and history in general, has been lost. Even after photography was invented, the lens (and pen) was often directed subjectively, documenting what the mainstream media thought were the significant moments of the ...
|Doc10 Film Festival returns and includes LGBTQ+ features 2021-05-21|
- Chicago Media Project (CMP) announced the full slate of films being showcased at the annual Doc10 Documentary Film Festival, returning June 17-20. The festival will feature socially distanced, COVID-responsible in-person ...
|Lightfoot only giving one-on-one talks to journalists of color 2021-05-19|
- Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot has told the city's media outlets that she would grant one-on-one interviews to mark the halfway point of her term, but with one condition: She will only speak with journalists of color, ...
|Windy City Times' first cover available as NFT 2021-05-17|
- The first cover of the Chicago LGBTQ newspaper Windy City Times is being made available as the company's first NFT, or non-fungible token. NFTs have recently been successfully tested by various artists and media companies, including ...
|Don Lemon announces end of 'CNN Tonight' [UPDATE] 2021-05-15|
- CNN host Don Lemon insisted he is not leaving the network after claiming on his show on May 14 that "changes are coming," according to Newsweek. In part, he said, "It's been really, really great. This ...