WINDY CITY TIMES
||Calif. court blocks Trump administration's asylum rule
This article shared 1843 times since Sat Jan 9, 2021
In response to a request from Immigration Equality, Lambda Legal, and Kramer Levin Naftalis & Frankel LLP, the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California issued an order on Jan. 8 blocking, in its entirety, a Trump administration rule that would have made it virtually impossible for all refugeesincluding those who are LGBTQ or living with HIVto secure asylum in the United States, according to a Lambda Legal press release.
Judge James Donato wrote, "In effect, the government keeps crashing the same car into a gate, hoping that someday it might break through. … But our system has no room for relitigating the same facts and law in successive district court cases ad infinitum... Plaintiffs provide legal services and other assistance to those seeking asylum and similar protections from persecution or violence in their home countries. They have provided ample evidence that if enacted, the Rule would harm this mission. … A nationwide injunction is warranted."
Immigration Equality v. Department of Homeland Security was filed on behalf of plaintiffs Immigration Equality, Oasis Legal Services, The TransLatin@ Coalition, Black LGBTQIA+ Migrant Project, and Transgender Law Center.
Lambda Legal Senior Attorney Omar Gonzalez-Pagan said, "The rule is rooted in xenophobia and cruelty. It also is a haphazard attempt to enact a sweeping and unworkable overhaul of our asylum system, without adequate justification or compliance with the law. Lives are at stake and we are relieved that the court has put this abhorrent policy on hold while we continue to make our case. We are gratified by the Court's quick action and confident that these attempted changes will never take effect."
The full order is at www.lambdalegal.org/in-court/legal-docs/immigrationequality_us_20210108_order-re-preliminary-injunction .
This article shared 1843 times since Sat Jan 9, 2021
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Canada's House of Commons unanimously votes to ban conversion therapy 2021-12-02|
- Canada's House of Commons voted unanimously to ban so-called LGBT conversion therapy, the BBC reported. The legislation would make it illegal to have a child undergo the practice or have anyone unwillingly undergo it. Conversion therapywhich ...
|Mayor Lightfoot issues statement about lawsuit against FOP 2021-12-01|
--From a press release - Today, at my direction, the City's Department of Law voluntarily dismissed their lawsuit against the Fraternal Order of Police Lodge 7 without prejudice. This verified complaint for injunctive relief was initially filed in response to the ...
|POLITICS Foster, Schneider support Casten in primary battle against Newman 2021-12-01|
- Suburban congressional colleagues Bill Foster and Brad Schneider are backing two-term Democratic U.S. Rep. Sean Casten, of Downers Grove, in his primary bid for re-election against freshman Democratic U.S. Rep. Marie Newman, of La Grange, The ...
|FDA pushed to end discriminatory tissue donation policy 2021-11-30|
--From a press release - Chicago, IL. — U.S Representatives Mike Quigley (D-IL), Joe Neguse (D-CO), David Cicilline (D-RI), and U.S. Senators Tammy Baldwin (D-WI), Michael Bennet (D-CO), and Elizabeth Warren ...
|State Rep. Greg Harris not seeking re-election 2021-11-29|
- Illinois state Rep. Greg Harristhe first openly gay and HIV-positive state leader in the General Assemblyannounced that he won't seek re-election and will leave the House when his term expires in early 2023, The Chicago Tribune ...
|Mike Simmons among LGBTQ Victory Fund-endorsed candidates 2021-11-29|
- Incumbent Illinois state Sen. Mike Simmons was among the political candidates that the LGBTQ Victory Fund backed in its latest round of endorsements. LGBTQ Victory Fundthe only national organization dedicated to electing LGBTQ+ leaders to public ...
|Oak Park-River Forest Chamber of Commerce elects first Black LGBTQ president in organization's history 2021-11-24|
- In November, the Oak Park-River Forest Chamber of Commerce elected Darien Marion-Burton to serve as the organization's first Black LGBTQ president. Marion-Burton will begin his role in January 2022 and said he's excited to bring a ...
|DuPage Democrat employee resigns after Wisconsin parade posts 2021-11-23|
- Mary Lemanski resigned from her role as social-media manager of the Democratic Party of DuPage County after being criticized for insensitive tweets she made about the parade tragedy in Waukesha, Wisconsin, according to NCTV17.com. In now-deleted ...
|WORLD HIV case, Ireland items, Kim Petras, actress' illness 2021-11-21|
- A woman in Argentina has become only the second documented person whose own immune system may have cured her of HIV, NBC News noted. Researchers have dubbed the 30-year-old mother, who was first diagnosed with HIV ...
|NATIONAL N.Y. governor, GLSEN report, flower shop, political items 2021-11-21|
- New York Gov. Kathy Hochul signed a pair of LGBTQ-related bills aimed at protecting sex-trafficking survivors as well as requiring utility and telephone companies to respect customers' preferred pronouns, The New York Post reported. One of ...
|DNC makes statement on Transgender Day of Remembrance 2021-11-20|
--From a Democratic National Committee press release - DNC Chair Jaime Harrison and DNC LGBTQ Caucus Chair Earl Fowlkes released the following statement to commemorate Transgender Day of Remembrance (Nov. 20): "This Transgender Day of Remembrance, we honor the lives lost due to anti-trans ...
|Rainbow Railroad plans 'When I Am Free' benefit concert to get LGBTQI+s to safety 2021-11-20|
--From a press release. Videos below - Chicago, IL (November 12, 2021) - The annual Chicago 5 Lives Fundraiser hosted by Rainbow Railroad is proud to return this year with "When I Am Free", a benefit concert offering attendees a premier evening of ...
|COVID U.S. opens boosters for all adults 2021-11-20|
- On Nov. 19, the United States, through the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), allowed COVID-19 booster shots for all adults and took the extra step of urging people 50 and older to seek one, ...
|Four LGBTQ leaders to be inducted into LGBTQ Victory Hall of Fame 2021-11-20|
--From a press release - Washington, DC — LGBTQ Victory Institute announced it will induct four political leaders into the 2021 class of the LGBTQ Victory Hall of Fame, which honors the LGBTQ elected officials, appointed officials and candidates who made ...
|HHS acts to prevent discrimination, strengthen civil rights 2021-11-19|
--From a press release - Washington D.C. — Today, the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) through the Administration for Children and Families (ACF) and Office for Civil Rights (OCR), announced actions to further ...