WINDY CITY TIMES
||FIVE WORTH FINDING: Rainbow Soap, Billy Porter, Honey West and more
by Andrew Davis
This article shared 1158 times since Sat Jun 12, 2021
Soap Distillery's Rainbow Soap (SoapDistillery.com): To help celebrate Pride Month, many businesses are offering rainbow versions of their productsand Chicago's Soap Distillery is no exception. A portion of proceeds will benefit the Broadway Youth Center, a local non-profit organization that houses and offers programs to LGBTQ youth. However, Soap Distillery has many other items, from Lavender Bitters Body Oil to Mint Mojito Lip Balm.
Heritage Restaurant & Caviar Bar (2700 W. Chicago Ave.; www.heritage-chicago.com/&: For Pride Month, this spot is donating $1 for every Slony Markaronsa cocktail consisting of gin, grapefruit, lemon and serrano-berto bitters with a sliver of cilantro, surrounded by a salty rimto the Center on Halsted's Anti-Violence Project. For Father's Day, Heritage is offering various meal packages, such as the "Superhero My Two Dads" kit ($225), which has items such as a crab-claw cocktail; bourbon-glazed hot smoked salmon with green beans, salsa verde and carrot couscous; 12 Chebooktook oysters (from New Brunswick) with giardiniera mignonette and lemons; yuzu curd tart meringue and chocolate ice cream; a bottle of cabernet; and more.
UniQuely-Kreated Kandles (www.facebook.com/UniQuely-Kreated-110175634478304/ or 847-243-3658): This LGBTQ-owned business specializes in gel wax scented candles that come in a variety of colors, and there are rainbow items as wellfitting for Pride Month. As for those scents, there are many fruit-related ones (lemon, papaya, red cherry, pineapple, etc.) as well as aromas such as Ocean Breeze, Bergamot and Night Air.
Gene & Georgetti's Pride Brunch with Honey West (500 N. Franklin St.; RSVP at www.opentable.com/r/gene-and-georgetti-chicago or 312-527-3718): The Chicago steakhouse marks 80 years of business with a Pride brunch on Sunday, June 27, 9 a.m.-3 a.m. West, an iconic trans entertainer, has been a hit on the cabaret circuit since her debut in the 1990 one-woman show A Taste of Honey. She has won two After Dark Awards as Chicago's Outstanding Cabaret Entertainer as well as several other honors and accolades.
Screening on documentary 5B with Billy Porter: On June 24, 6-8:30 p.m. ET, activist/actor Billy Porter (Pose)who recently revealed his own HIV diagnosiswill join Michael Sneed, EVP of global cultural affairs for Johnson & Johnson's (which, in addition to helping the world fight COVID, is currently working on a HIV vaccine) for a free special screening of award-winning documentary 5B, a press item noted. The film chronicles the stories of the heroic nurses who risked their lives to found the world's first AIDS Ward. Immediately following the screening, Porter will participate in a fireside chat with 5B nurse Alison Moed Paolercio, RN MS; and nurse, entrepreneur, innovator and author Rebecca Love RN, MSN, FIEL. RSVP at jnjmeetings.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_zNPrkj1JRV6szhiV7AVzdw .
This article shared 1158 times since Sat Jun 12, 2021
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|WORLD Marriage in Chile, Polish website, Toronto news, 'Reclaim Pride' march 2021-07-25|
- On July 21, Chile's Senate approved an equal-marriage bill, DW.com reported. The regulations were presented during the second government of the socialist Michelle Bachelet (2014-2018) and last June 1, during ...
|NATIONAL California cases, trans woman killed, Pride staircase, sports law 2021-07-25|
- Proponents of Proposition 8 have to file a brief on or before Aug. 16 to show they have standing to appeal a district court decision to release tapes of the landmark Perry v. Schwarzenegger trial that ...
|Hungarian protesters defy prime minister with sizable march 2021-07-25|
- In Hungary, approximately 30,000 people joined the annual Pride celebrations in the capital of Budapest on July 24, with attendees marching in colorful outfits in support of inclusion and freedom, according to CNN.com. However, this year ...
|LGBT Chamber of Commerce of Illinois announces 'Shop Pride' program, showcasing LGBTQ+ business 2021-07-15|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — The LGBT Chamber of Commerce of Illinois (LGBTCC), today announced the official launch of the Shop Pride program designed to encourage Illinois residents to support ...
|Alderwoman presents her side in Pride North fee situation 2021-07-12|
- Chicago Ald. Maria Hadden (49th Ward) spoke with Windy City Times about a recent controversy that involved fees regarding Pride North. On June 26 (Saturday), the $20 fee was listed as a suggested donation. However, the ...
|WORLD Anti-LGBTQ crimes, conversion therapy, out prime minister, Pakistan school 2021-07-11|
- In England, police are treating the painting of a homophobic slur on an LGBTQ Pride mural as a hate crime, the BBC reported. The wall in St Helens, Merseyside, which was painted by volunteers and artists ...
|After 50 years, Boston Pride dissolves 2021-07-11|
- After more than 50 years, Boston Pride decided to stop operating and dissolve, LGBTQ Nation reported. The groupone of the oldest Pride organizations in operationsdecided that the Boston community "needs and wants change without the involvement ...
|Protest organizer now eyeing Arlington Heights after Pride flag rejection 2021-07-10|
- The individual who organized a June 30 protest in Elk Grove Village against what many perceived to be an anti-trans+ law as well as the lack of a Pride flag flying there is now looking at what is happening in a ...
|Uniting Pride of Champaign County announces dates, theme of Pride events 2021-07-08|
- Uniting Pride of Champaign County announced the dates and theme for the 2021 Champaign-Urbana PrideFest and Parade. C-U Pridefest will be held the weekend of Sept. 24-26. After a year of isolation due to COVID-19 and ...
|NATIONAL Panic defense, subway attack, N.J. items, Pride rallies 2021-07-04|
- A bill that bans the so-called LGBTQ panic defense in Virginia took effect July 1, according to The Washington Blade. Democratic Gov. Ralph Northam on March 31 signed the measure that transgender state Del. Danica Roem ...
|LGBTQ+ South Side Needs Assessment Community Report Out July 8 2021-07-02|
--From a press release - In late 2019, Howard Brown Health partnered with Pride Action Tank to develop and conduct a community input process to inform decision making regarding plans for the health care and LGBTQ+-affirming social services facility it will ...
|Illinois Holocaust Museum hosts 'Reflecting on LGBTQ+ Pride in the Time of COVID-19' virtual panel 2021-07-02|
- On June 30, the Illinois Holocaust Museum and Education Center (IHMEC) hosted a "Reflecting on LGBTQ+ Pride in the Time of COVID-19" virtual panel. Chicago Sun-Times and ABC-7 Chicago columnist and political analyst Laura Washington moderated ...
|West Side Pride ends June with rally, ball and call to action 2021-07-01|
- On June 30, West Side Pride closed Pride Month with a rally and call to action followed by a celebratory ball. The eventco-sponsored by Life is Work, Pride Without Prejudice, Brave Space Alliance and Taskforce Preventionsought ...
|Taste of River North on Aug. 20-21 at new location 2021-07-01|
- River North Residents Association today announced that its acclaimed annual food and entertainment festival, Taste of River North, will return for 2021 to celebrate its 20th anniversary. Taking place Aug. 20-21, Taste of River North moves ...
|Lake View marchers address inequities with pride 2021-06-28|
- About 200 marchers gathered in Lake View on June 27 for the 2021 Pride Without Prejudicean event highlighting systemic issues concerning many LGBTQ community members. Among the issues the gathering addressed were racism, transgender rights, policing ...