WINDY CITY TIMES
||Five Worth Finding: Mango Pickle, play about gay movie stars and more
by Andrew Davis
This article shared 856 times since Mon Jan 24, 2022
Mango Pickle: I've written about this Edgewater restaurant beforeand, fortunately, the unique quality of the Indian menu items remains. I was fortunate enough to recently experience the 21 Days of Thaliwith items like winter squash gnocchi with garam masala and curry leaf butter. While that special dinner is only occasional, many very enticing items await. See www.mangopicklechicago.com .
Sons of Hollywood: Windy City Playhouse will present the world premiere of Sons of Hollywooda searing take on 1920s Hollywood through the eyes of gay silent-film stars Ramon Novarro and William Haines. The production centers on Hollywood as it brims with risque films, off-screen scandals, enormous parties and glamorous opening nights. When the Motion Picture Production Code brings a swift and sudden end to their lifestyles and the silver screen is purged of its openly gay stars, Novarro and Haines face a hard, oppressive reality: They must choose love or money. See www.WindyCityPlayhouse.com .
Brindille's Valentine's Day Tea For Two To-Go: Valentine's Day will be here before you know it, so surprise your better half with this special one-day-only offer (Feb. 13). Chef Carrie Nahabedian's French afternoon tea service will include a selection of exotic teas, scones, crumpets and jam, pastries, finger sandwiches and more. Pick-up will only be available 10 a.m.-noon, and the cost is $160. See brindille-chicago.com .
The Harder They Fall: This revisionist Westernwith Black characters mostly based on real peopleis one of the best movies I've seen in a while. This Netflix movie (which has garnered praise during the award-show circuit) stars Idris Elba, Regina King and Delroy Linda, among others.
Kimbala Chai & Coffee: If you're a chai enthusiastand even if you're notyou might want to give Kimbala a try. You can either try varieties such as Jaggery, Neat and Assamica (my favorite), or you can give the different concentrates a whirl (by just adding to your milk). Check out ikimbala.com .
This article shared 856 times since Mon Jan 24, 2022
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Five Worth Finding: Gift ideas 2021-12-15|
- With the holidays almost upon us, here are a few items to consider: Samsung items: Some people may just think phones and computers when they think of Samsung, but the company offers so much more. For ...
|WINDY CITY TIMES HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2021 2021-12-03|
- Yes, it’s that time of the year when it’s especially emphasized that it’s better to give than to receive. With that in mind, here are some items you may want to consider getting that relative, friend or significant other. ...
|Five Worth Finding: Harold Washington, volcanic water and more 2021-10-07|
- Mayor Harold Washington's LGBTQ+ legacy: The LGBTQ legacy of late Chicago Mayor Harold Washington (1922-1987) will be discussed as part of a series of events marking his 100th birthday in 2022. This free LGBTQ event will ...
|Five Worth Finding: 'Swan Song,' mental-health event, Halloween items, artwork 2021-09-04|
- Technically, there are six items here, but they're all highly recommended. Swan Song: Throughout his long and storied career, German actor Udo Kier has taken on many roles but probably none as indelible as former hairdresser Pat ...
|Romanticism to Ruin exhibition opening September 24 2021-08-19|
--From a press release - Romanticism to Ruin: Two Lost Works of Sullivan and Wright, Wrightwood 659's fall exhibition, opens Sept. 24. Tickets are now available. The great American architects Louis H. Sullivan and Frank Lloyd Wright had rare gifts for ...
|Five Worth Finding: Gerber/Hart, 'Mr. Soul!,' S'mores desserts and more 2021-08-09|
- Stacks of Laughter: Gerber/Hart Library and Archives, 6500 N. Clark St.. will host a comedy benefit, "Stacks of Laughter," on Saturday, Sept. 18. At 6 p.m., there will be a VIP reception with local historian John ...
|Five Worth Finding: Skydeck, a great Italian dinner and more 2021-05-03|
- Skydeck Chicago at Willis Tower (TheSkydeck.com): The famed Skydeck Chicago, 103 stories up at Willis Tower (formerly Sears Tower) has reopened complete with the ledges (that separate people from the city ...
|WINDY CITY TIMES annual Holiday Gift Guide, Part Two
- I'll drink to that Inspired by TV host Giuliana Rancic, Giuliana Prosecco ($14.99; TerlatoWines.com) is smooth, with a fruity scent and deceptively complex taste. It may sound weird to say you settled down with Giuliana after ...
|WINDY CITY TIMES 2019 Holiday Gift Guide Part One of Two 2019-11-27|
- Feel the heat We all know the polar vortex may be revisiting sooner rather than letter, so be ready with Heat Holders socks and gloves (various prices; HeatHolders.com). The socks, specially developed with cashmere-like acrylic yarn, ...
|Five Worth Finding: TeaPotBrew, 'The GayBCs' and more 2019-10-29|
- TeaPotBrew Bakery: Nestled in the South Loop/Prairie District, this bakery (1802 S. Wabash St.; 312-966-6001) features dozens of teas, delicious sandwiches/pastries and the friendliest staffers you'll likely to encounter. Also ...
Five Worth Finding: Pride, Carol's Cookies, Kimpton Gray and more 2019-06-18|
- The Queeriodic Table: A Celebration of LGBTQ+ Culture: Harriet Dyer's book (a take on the periodic table, of course) contains a glossary on current lingo and definitions; a condensed timeline of queer events from 1000 B.C.; ...
|Five Worth Finding: Emotional book, Studio Three and more 2019-03-03|
- The Truth About Aaron: This book about the late football star/convicted murdered Aaron Hernandez, written by brother Jonathan, is a warts-and-all account of the sometimes brutal childhood Aaron had. Among ...
|Five Worth Finding, Beverages, Auto Show and more 2019-02-04|
- Sodastream Fizzi One Touch (Sodastream.com): This eco-friendly sparking-soda maker has been getting tons of positive reviewsand there are several reasons for this. It's absolutely easy to use, there's top-notch customer ...
|Five Worth Finding: Last-minute gifts 2018-12-19|
- tinyB Chocolate (https://www.tinybchocolate.com/): Sinful bite-sized chocolateswhich are great stocking-stuffersare the hallmark of this company. Among the cascade of flavors are dark chocolate and sprinkles; Brazilian coffee ...
|'One of a Kind Holiday Show' through Dec. 9 2018-12-07|
- Through Dec. 9, the One of a Kind Holiday Show is returning to the seventh floor of The Mart, 222 W. Merchandise Mart Plaza. More than 600 independent artists from across North America and beyond are ...