WINDY CITY TIMES
||HRC settles race-based lawsuit with former president
This article shared 685 times since Thu Mar 16, 2023
Human Rights Campaign (HRC) and its Black former president, Alphonso David, settled a lawsuit in which David had alleged racial discrimination in his firing, Reuters reported.
In September 2021, David was fired after New York state Attorney General Letitia James issued a report saying he had advised former Gov. Andrew Cuomo about dealing with sexual-harassment allegations, the organization's board said at the time. David was identified in the report as having been involved in efforts to undermine Cuomo's first accuser, Lindsey Boylan.
David, HRC's first Black leader, held the post for two years. In his lawsuit, filed in the Eastern District of New York, David contended that he was fired "because he is Black" and that the group "maintained discriminatory employment practices." David alleges that while discussing his contract renewal, HRC board members "acknowledged" that he was paid less than his white predecessor "because of his race," NBC News noted. (David's lawsuit is at docs.google.com/document/u/1/d/e/2PACX-1vS47Dl-CUtpFtLg5chDZZly1Be86nrd0xCSb6mY48-xNqPtKvHri8nsNhYqC3mUnSLx1oIcYjb5QUQP/pub .)
The terms of the settlement were confidential, the two sides said in a joint statement, adding they chose to "amicably resolve" the lawsuit, Reuters also noted. The joint statement is at www.hrc.org/press-releases/joint-statement-of-hrc-and-alphonso-david .
HRC named a new president, Kelley Robinson, in Septemberand she is the first Black woman to hold the post.
This article shared 685 times since Thu Mar 16, 2023
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Michaela Jae Rodriguez honored at HRC dinner 2023-03-26|
- On March 25, the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) hosted its Los Angeles dinner at the JW Marriott Los Angeles L.A. LIVEand honored Golden Globe-winning and Emmy-nominated trans actress Michaela Jae Rodriguez, per a press release. Human ...
|Affinity renews Burning Bowl tradition 2023-03-23|
- On the afternoon of March 19, Affinity Community Services held Burning Bowl 2023 Renewal: And Still We Rise at the Pavilion at the Dan Ryan Woods. ...
|Mayoral candidate forum centers BIPOC LGBTQ+ issues, Vallas declines to participate 2023-03-23|
- Chicago mayoral candidate Brandon Johnson participated in a March 22 virtual LGBTQ+-focused forum co-hosted by Affinity Community Services (Affinity), Association of Latinos/as/xs Motivating Action (ALMA) Chicago ...
|Center on Halsted to Honor Sen. Tammy Baldwin April 15, Human First Gala at The Geraghty 2023-03-23|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — Center on Halsted is pleased to announce that its inaugural Trailblazer Award will be presented to Senator Tammy Baldwin at its annual Human First Gala being held the evening of Saturday, April 15, in ...
|NATIONAL Ritchie Torres, N.J. towns, Karine Jean-Pierre, Tennessee items 2023-03-18|
- New York Congressman Ritchie Torres has talked about his own struggle with depression and the importance of mental health in the wake of U.S. Sen. John Fetterman (D-Pa.)'s recent hospitalization for clinical depression, The Washington Blade ...
|'Spring Fling' at The Baton on Thursday, April 13 to benefit Chicago LGBT Hall of Fame 2023-03-17|
--From a press release - The Baton Show Lounge (4713 North Broadway, Chicago) has been entertaining folks for 54 years and will host a special "Spring Fling", an all-new show to benefit the Chicago LGBT of Fame on Thursday, April 13 ...
|Johnson and Vallas to take part in LGBTQ+-focused candidate forum March 22 2023-03-17|
- Affinity Community Services (Affinity), Association of Latinos/as/xs Motivating Action (ALMA) Chicago, Brave Space Alliance, Chicago Black Gay Men's Caucus, Life is Work and Task Force Chicago are co-hosting a virtual ...
|Lambda Literary announces award finalists 2023-03-16|
--From a press release - Lambda Literary has announced the finalists in 25 categories for the 35th Annual Lambda Literary Awards. The finalists were selected by a panel of over 65 literary professionals from more than 1,350 book submissions. These selections ...
|31ST annual Elton John AIDS Foundation Academy Awards Viewing Party raises more than $9 million 2023-03-13|
--From a press release - LOS ANGELES, March 13, 2023 — The 31st annual Elton John AIDS Foundation Academy Awards® Viewing Party hosted by Sir Elton John and David Furnish, with special guests Eric McCormack and Michaela Jae Rodriguez, raised more ...
|Valle leaving longtime Center on Halsted CEO role 2023-03-10|
- Longtime Center on Halsted CEO Modesto Tico Valle is leaving his post, according to organization officials. Board Chair Victor Ravago announced Valle's departure in a March 10 statement: "I share with you today that Modesto Tico ...
|Steppenwolf Theatre Company's 2023 Gala May 13 at The Old Post Office 2023-03-06|
--From a press release - CHICAGO (March 6, 2023) — The Steppenwolf Ensemble and Board of Trustees are pleased to host Steppenwolf 2023 Galaan unforgettable evening celebrating 47 years of powerful and thought-provoking storytelling. Emceed ...
|PFLAG holds 50th anniversary celebration gala, honors Tom Daley with George Takei Advocate Award 2023-03-05|
--From a press release - NEW YORK (Mar. 4, 2023) Last night, iconic LGBTQ+ community organization PFLAG celebrated 50 years of leading with love at a spectacular gala event hosted by comedian and actress Amber Ruffin at New York's Marriott ...
|Home of long-term NCLR Legal Director Shannon Minter devastated by Texas tornado, NCLR comments on outpouring of support 2023-03-03|
--From a press release - SAN FRANCISCO, CA — Yesterday during violent storms in several southern states, the home of long-time NCLR Legal Director Shannon Minter and his Robin was destroyed by a powerful tornado in rural Texas. The house also ...
|LGBTQ+ Victory Fund launches new brand; celebrates LGBTQ+ progress, joy and resilience 2023-03-01|
Video below. From a press release - Washington, DC — Today LGBTQ+ Victory Fund launched its new name, new logo and new visual identity. This new brand honors LGBTQ+ progress since the organization's inception in 1991, celebrates LGBTQ+ people's joy and resilience in ...
|Gay race-car driver Zach Herrin on industry, historic partnership with Lambda Legal 2023-02-26|
- NASCAR driver Zach Herrin has announced a partnership with Lambda Legal, a national organization aimed at achieving full recognition of the civil rights of LGBTQ+ people and everyone living with HIV through litigation and public advocacy. ...
|WORLD Venezuela code, Oxfam, Bosnia items, 'Brokeback,' Pope Francis|
|NATIONAL 'Don't Say Gay,' anti-trans bills, gay Irish leader visits, gay Calif. mayor|
|SHOWBIZ 'Joy Ride,' Cynthia Erivo, David Bowie, March Madness, Kevin Bacon|
|Iowa, Georgia ban medical treatment for trans minors|
|ALA: 2022 saw record demand of censorship of library books|