||Indianapolis council condemns conversion therapy; Indiana Stonewall Dems celebrate
This article shared 777 times since Tue Feb 2, 2021
Indiana Stonewall Democrats celebrated the Indianapolis City-County Council and its LGBTQ councillors for passing a proclamation on Feb. 1 that formally condemns "conversion therapy" and the long-term health complications it puts on LGBTQ youth.
"Ending 'conversion therapy' across Indiana has more to do with protecting the health and futures of our kids than scoring political points, and I'm elated to join the Council's LGBTQ Caucus by once again showing youth that they have adults who are fighting for them in every way possible," said Indianapolis City-County Councillor Keith Potts in a statement. "[The] resolution makes clear that this history-making Council will always advocate for the most vulnerable among us, and we'll always make sure our kidsno matter who they arehave a fighting chance at success in this city."
It's estimated that more than 700,000 LGBTQ Americans have received some form of "conversion therapy" practice, with many receiving care from a licensed healthcare professional before reaching the age of 18. Furthermore, LGBTQ Americans who experienced "therapy" practices are about eight times more likely to report having attempted suicide or nearly six times more likely report high levels of depression.
The Indianapolis City-County Council's move endorses a similar effort at the statehouse that would ban the practice administered to people in the LGBTQ community, IndyStar reported.
Sen. J.D. Ford, D-Indianapolis, is bringing a bill to ban the practice after a failed attempt by state Democrats last year. Ford, Indiana's first openly gay lawmaker, said the issue revolves around saving the many lives of LGBTQ youth.
At least 20 states have banned "conversion therapy," according to the American Psychological Associationone of several professional groups that have opposed the practice.
This article shared 777 times since Tue Feb 2, 2021
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|NATIONAL Nebraska measure, Williams Institute, Audre Lorde, journalist dies 2021-02-28|
- In Nebraska, the Lincoln City Council passed an ordinance that bans licensed mental-health professionals from subjecting LGBTQ youth to the discredited practice of conversion therapy, according to a Trevor Project ...
|Victory Institute condemns Rand Paul attack on
Dr. Rachel Levine, trans youth 2021-02-25|
--From a press release - Washington, DC — Today LGBTQ Victory Institute condemned Senator Rand Paul's transphobic attack on Dr. Rachel Levine during her confirmation hearing before the U.S. Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions. He attacked trans you ...
|WORLD Canadian groups, Moroccan refugee, LGBT+ Rights Ghana, trans heroine 2021-02-21|
- From $400,000 in funding for a national initiative aimed at expanding two-spirit advocacy, to $239,000 to improve LGBTQ youth housing access in the Prairies, 76 Canadian community groups are being sent nearly $15 million from the ...
|Court Theatre announces 2021 Southside Youth Fest, platform for teens 2021-02-18|
--From a press release - Chicago, IL - Court Theatre, under the continuing leadership of Charles Newell, Marilyn F. Vitale Artistic Director, and Executive Director Angel Ysaguirre, announces Court's 2021 Southside Youth Fest, inviting South Side teens to submit original digi ...
|WORLD School items, Olympics, Angola law, Dutch senate 2021-02-14|
- Toronto's Catholic school board reinstated the link to an LGBT support phone line on its website following outrage from the community, according to Yahoo! News, citing The Canadian Press. The school board removed LGBT YouthLine from ...
|ACLU of Illinois reacts to Auditor General's report on LGBTQ youth in DCFS care 2021-02-10|
- In response to the Auditor General's report on LGBTQ youth in DCFS care, Ghirlandi Guidetti, Staff Attorney with the ACLU of Illinois made the following statement: "Today's Auditor General's report reveals a sad but unsurprising truth: ...
|GLAAD: Senators vote against response to riot but introduce anti-trans bill 2021-02-10|
--From a press release - Five of the eight senators objecting to Electoral College votes and voting against the second Trump impeachment trial have cosponsored a new bill targeting transgender youth, adding to history of anti-LGBTQ votes and views GLAAD: "More ...
|Equality Illinois, Rainbow Cafe, legislators, PPIA reintroduce REACH Act
- Illinois state Sen. Ram Villivalam (D-8), state Rep. Kathleen Willis (D-77), Planned Parenthood Illinois Action (PPIA), Equality Illinois and Rainbow Cafe LGBTQ Youth Center held a press conference Feb. 2 ...
|Book helps families with kids discuss gender roles, same gender attraction 2021-01-29|
--From a press release - A new book, Pepito Has a Doll, is centered on the experience of a shy young boy who lives with his grandmother. Pepito has only one friend, his doll Lola, until Miguel appears and they begin a joyful adventure together. Bilingual ...
|Day 1 executive orders impact millions of LGBTQ youth, adults of diverse communities 2021-01-20|
--From a Williams Institute press release - Today, President Biden signed a sweeping executive order directing federal agencies to adopt a comprehensive approach to advancing equity for all, including in federal employment, policies, programs, and services. This is the first day one executive ...
|Indiana to open first home for LGBTQ+ homeless youths
- Indiana's first dedicated residential facility for LGBTQ+ young adults experiencing homelessness is slated to open this year in Indianapolis, according to WLFI.com. This home was years in the making. Trinity ...
|Indiana pols propose anti-conversion therapy bill
- Indiana Stonewall Democrats issued a press release lauding state Sen. JD Ford (District 39) and state Rep. Sue Errington (District 26) for introducing a new bill to effectively end so-called "conversion therapy" practices across the state ...
|National LGBTQ organizations call for Trump's removal from office 2021-01-08|
--From a press release - New York, NY - Thursday, Jan. 7, 2020 - GLAAD, the world's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) media advocacy organization, along with leading LGBTQ legal, health, youth, justice and equality organizations, is callin ...
|WORLD Lithuania outlook, HIV/AIDS and COVID, lawyer arrested, trans youth 2020-12-27|
- Lithuania appears set to legalize same-sex civil partnerships next year, but same-sex marriage could be up to a decade away, according to Tomas Raskevicius—the country's only openly LGBT+ lawmaker, Reuters reported. "We're going to submit t ...
|11th Circuit urged to reverse decision allowing LGBTQ youth conversion therapy 2020-12-21|
--From a Born Perfect press release - ATLANTA, GA — The Born Perfect campaign submitted a friend-of-the-court brief on Friday urging reversal of a recent decision by a three-judge federal panel validating the dangerous unethical practice known ...