WINDY CITY TIMES
||Kris Mayes shatters lavender ceiling; first LGBTQ person elected Arizona Attorney General
-- From a press release
This article shared 288 times since Mon Nov 21, 2022
Washington, DC — Today LGBTQ Victory Fund candidate Kris Mayes won the election for Arizona Attorney General. With this historic win, she is now the first out LGBTQ Attorney General in Arizona history.
Mayor Annise Parker, President & CEO of LGBTQ Victory Fund, issued the following statement:
"Kris' victory is a win for all Arizonans. Voters chose a champion of equality who believes in democracy over a cynic who spread election disinformation for his own perceived political gain. In a state with bans on abortion and same-sex marriage still on the books, the symbolism of voters choosing an out LGBTQ Attorney General cannot be overstated. Kris has a long track record of taking on big fights and winning on behalf of her community and will be a powerful pro-equality, pro-choice force in Arizona. Today's results are a resounding rebuke to the hate and intolerance sweeping our country. Voters made their voices heard loud and clear: enough is enough. It's time for change, it's time for courage."
There are currently just two out LGBTQ state Attorneys General ( outforamerica.org/ ) in the United States, according to LGBTQ Victory Institute: Dana Nessel in Michigan and Maura Healey in Massachusetts.
LGBTQ Victory Fund
LGBTQ Victory Fund works to achieve and sustain equality by increasing the number of openly LGBTQ elected officials at all levels of government while ensuring they reflect the diversity of those they serve. Since 1991, Victory Fund has helped thousands of openly LGBTQ candidates win local, state and federal elections.
This article shared 288 times since Mon Nov 21, 2022
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Leni Manaa-Hoppenworth submits 2000+ petition signatures to run for seat vacated by Harry Osterman 2022-11-24|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO, IL Early this morning, Leni Manaa-Hoppenworth, candidate for 48th ward, submitted 2166 petition signatures — over four times as many as the 473 minimum required — in order to get on the ballot for ...
|Transgender Day of Resilience: Town Hall panelists tackle allyship, discrimination and immigration 2022-11-23|
- Brave Space Alliance (BSA), Life Is Work (LIW) and Chicago Therapy Collective (CTC) hosted three free events across the city that they namedTDOR Weekend: A New Era, Together to celebrate ...
|Gay candidates Lopez, Lawson file papers for 2023 aldermanic race 2022-11-21|
- Ald. Raymond Lopez (15th Ward), an openly gay City Council member who has been an ardent foe of Mayor Lightfoot, announced Nov. 21 that he was dropping his bid for Lightfoot's mayoral seat, and would instead ...
|Equality Illinois on the Club Q shooting 2022-11-20|
-- From a press release - Statement from Brian C. Johnson, CEO of Equality Illinois, the state's LGBTQ+ civil rights organization, on the Club Q shooting: On a day already marked by sadness, the LGBTQ+ community woke up to the tragic news ...
|NATIONAL Respect for Marriage Act, lesbian judge, gay official resigns 2022-11-20|
- Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-New York) said that debate on the Respect for Marriage Act (RFMA) is suspended and will continue on Nov. 28, when the Senate reconvenes after Thanksgiving, LGBTQ Nation reported. The RFMA ...
|WORLD Brazilian musician, top LGBTQ+ cruises, Elon Musk, anti-trans attack 2022-11-20|
- Brazilian musician Pedro Sampaio revealed that he dates men and women, Out noted. Sampaio has 7 million monthly listeners on Spotify, more than 5 million followers on Instagram and several music videos with more than 50 ...
|Reports: Senate to vote on marriage equality law Nov. 16 2022-11-15|
- The U.S. Senate will vote on a measure enshrining marriage equality into law Wednesday, according to reports. Supporters of the measure, known as the Respect for Marriage Act, which aims to protect against an eventual repeal ...
|NATIONAL Political results, communicable-disease law, Urvashi Vaid 2022-11-13|
- Sharice Davids won the election for Kansas' 3rd Congressional District. In 2018, she made history when she became the first out LGBTQ+ person elected to Congress from Kansas and one of the first two Native American women ever ...
|REPORTS: Tunney will not run to be Chicago mayor 2022-11-11|
- Outgoing Ald. Tom Tunney (44th ward) will not be among the challengers to incumbent Mayor Lori Lightfoot in the upcoming city election, according to multiple reports. Tunney's decision was first reported Nov. 10 in Chicago Tribune. ...
|Erick Russell shatters lavender ceiling; first Black LGBTQ person elected to statewide position in U.S. history 2022-11-09|
-- From a press release - Washington, DC — Today LGBTQ Victory Fund candidate Erick Russell won the election for Connecticut state Treasurer. With this victory, he is now the first Black out LGBTQ person ever elected to statewide office in U.S. ...
|HISTORY MADE: Oregon's Tina Kotek one of first lesbian governors in U.S history 2022-11-09|
-- From a press release - SALEM — Today, the Human Rights Campaign (HRC), the nation's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ+) civil rights organization, hailed the victory of HRC-endorsed Tina Kotek in her bid to become the governo ...
|History made: More LGBTQ+ people elected to congress than ever before 2022-11-09|
-- From an HRC press release - Washington, DC — Today, the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) — the nation's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ+) civil rights organization — hailed the victory of at least ...
|Eric Sorensen wins Illinois' 17th Congressional District general election 2022-11-09|
-- From a press release - MOLINE, IL — Tonight, Eric Sorensen declared victory in Illinois' 17th Congressional District General Election and issued the following statement: "From day one, we said this campaign was about electing a Representative who was known and ...
|Wednesday morning election results: LGBT+ governor, congressional candidates 2022-11-09|
- Massachusetts Attorney General Maura Healey, a popular Democrat in a deeply blue state, coasted to victory Tuesday as predicted, becoming the first lesbian to be elected governor of any state. Another lesbian candidate for governor, Tina ...
|Election 2022: Guide to the LGBTQ+ candidates' results 2022-11-08|
- This year's general election featured many openly LGBTQ+ candidates on ballots throughout Illinois. Here are results known as of publication the evening of Nov. 8. Windy City Times will update this list as more information becomes ...