WINDY CITY TIMES
||LGBTQ+ organizations to host Transgender Day of Remembrance: A New Era Together 2.0
--From a press release
This article shared 1027 times since Thu Nov 16, 2023
Chicago, IL On Sunday, November 19th, Brave Space Alliance, Chicago Therapy Collective, and Life is Work will host Transgender Day of Remembrance: A New Era Together 2.0, an event dedicated to honoring the memory of transgender and gender non-conforming individuals who have lost their lives due to violence and discrimination. This free, in-person event, held the day before November 20th's Transgender Day of Remembrance, will provide a safe space for attendees to show support and learn from each other and will feature inspiring speakers, HIV testing on-site, brunch-style oeuvres, empowering youth performances, and $3,000 cash prizes in ballroom categories. Attendees can RSVP here: www.eventbrite.com/e/tdor-new-era-together-20-tickets-748618747827 .
Channyn Lynne Parker, Brave Space Alliance
Zahara Bassett, Life Is Work
Terra Campbell, Howard Brown
Nikk Cochran Selik, Chicago Department of Public Health
Dr. Tatyana Moaton
Sunday, November 19th, 2023
11 AM - 4 PM
Doors open at 11 AM | Show starts at 12 PM
221 North Paulina Street
Chicago, IL 60612
About Brave Space Alliance
Brave Space Alliance is the first Black-led, trans-led LGBTQ+ Center located on the South Side of Chicago, dedicated to creating and providing affirming, culturally competent, for-us by-us resources, programming, and services for LGBTQ+ individuals on the South and West sides of the city. We strive to empower, embolden, and educate each other through mutual aid, knowledge-sharing, and the creation of community-sourced resources as we build toward the liberation of all oppressed peoples. Learn more: bravespacealliance.org
This article shared 1027 times since Thu Nov 16, 2023
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|LGBTQ+ baseball executives announce cancer battles 2023-12-09|
- Openly gay Major League Baseball (MLB) executive Billy Bean announced he has been diagnosed with acute myeloid leukemia and that he needs a donor for a bone-marrow transplant, Gay City News noted. USA Today initially reported ...
|NATIONAL Dr. Rachel Levine, World AIDS Day, trans deaths, Philly bar art 2023-12-08|
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Alabama Liles C. Burke ruled that emails and other records from U.S. Assistant Secretary for Health Dr. Rachel Levine are relevant to a lawsuit challenging Alabama's ban ...
|Wisconsin governor vetoes anti-trans youth healthcare ban 2023-12-08|
- In an expected move, Democratic Wisconsin Gov. Tony Evers vetoed a bill that aimed to outlaw gender-affirming care for minors, CBS News reported. Evers has sworn to strike down any proposals from the GOP-controlled Wisconsin Legislature ...
|Trans actress, gay actors, 'Kokomo City' receive Spirit Award nominations 2023-12-06|
- The nominations for the 39th annual Film Independent Spirit Awards have been announcedand LGBTQ+ actors, directors and productions definitely made their mark. Trans actress Trace Lysette was announced as one of the nominees for Best Lead ...
|WORLD Queer teen dies, trans activist honored, HIV drugs, mpox, British lesbian 2023-12-01|
- In India, queer makeup artist Pranshu reportedly died by suicide—at age 16—after being subjected to relentless attacks online, PinkNews noted. On social media, LGBTQIA+-rights advocacy collective Yes, We Exist claimed ...
|'She was here...and she is here': Street to be renamed after Elise Malary 2023-11-30|
By Alec Karam - The memory of the late activist Elise Malary will soon become a permanent part of Andersonville's Catalpa Avenue. The renamed "Elise Malary Way" will encompass the Catalpa Plaza area, a planned pedestrian plaza between Ashland Avenue ...
|Martina Navratilova continues anti-trans comments 2023-11-30|
- Lesbian tennis legend Martina Navratilova has been in the news lately for anti-trans comments, although she has been making them for quite some time. She recently sparked controversy with her remarks on a tribute by UK ...
|Fla. students walk out after school board's anti-trans actions 2023-11-29|
- In Florida, hundreds of students at Coconut Creek's Monarch High School held a walkout on Nov. 28 after their principal and several other school officials were reportedly reassigned over a transgender student's participation on the girls ...
|Pope Francis's community of transwomen 2023-11-28|
- It's a rare opportunity to meet the pope. It's even rarer if you're a transgender Catholic. However, on Nov. 19, in Torvaianica, Italy, a community of transwomen, many of them sex workers, were welcomed and seated ...
|Trans women banned from playing cricket 2023-11-24|
- Transgender women have been barred from playing in international women's matches under a new policy from the International Cricket Council (ICC), the BBC reported. Any player who has gone through male puberty will not be eligible ...
|NATIONAL Trevor Project, anti-trans crimes, priest sentenced, hate-crimes unit 2023-11-24|
- The Trevor Project announced the extension of its partnership with the 988 Suicide & Crisis Lifeline, reaffirming its commitment to providing specialized assistance to LGBTQ+ people who call 9-8-8, The Advocate reported. Interim Senior Vice President ...
|YEPP 'rises' to occasion at fall fundraiser 2023-11-20|
- Members and guests of Youth Empowerment Performance Project (YEPP) gathered Nov. 17 at Chicago Theater Works, 1113 W. Belmont Ave., for the organization's fall fundraiser, Rise Up: Our Celebration of Resistance. The evening marked both the ...
|Chicagoans gather to mark the 2023 Trans Day of Remembrance 2023-11-20|
- Brave Space Alliance, Chicago Therapy Collective and Life is Work joined forces to celebrate Trans Day of Remembrance under the banner New Era Together Nov. 19 at Venue West, 221 N. Paulina St., on the West ...
|Scotland announces five-year plan to help nonbinary people 2023-11-20|
- Scotland's government has announced a five-year action plan to improve the lives of non-binary people, Yahoo! News reported. Among other things, the first-of-its-kind plan in the UK (and, quite possibly, in the world) includes actions to ...
|PASSAGES: Mexico's first out nonbinary magistrate Jesus Ociel Baena Saucedo 2023-11-19|
- On Nov. 13, Mexico's first out nonbinary magistrate and LGBTQ+ activist Jesus Ociel Baena Saucedo was found dead in their state of Aguascalientes home alongside their partner Dorian Herrera. They were 38. According to state prosecutor ...