WINDY CITY TIMES
||NBJC releases statement on National Gay Men's HIV/AIDS Awareness Day
This article shared 1327 times since Sun Sep 27, 2020
In honor of National Gay Men's HIV/AIDS Awareness Day ( Sept. 27 ), the National Black Justice Coalition ( NBJC ) released a statement:
"Today is a day to celebrate that HIV is no longer the death sentence it once was, thanks to the effective HIV medication made possible by the tireless organizing of queer folks in the 1980s and 1990s," said National Black Justice Coalition ( NBJC ) Executive Director David Johns. "However, it's also a time to call out the fact that Black people today account for 43 percent of all HIV infections, despite only representing 12 percent of the U.S. population.
"We need to reject the notion that an HIV diagnosis is something to be ashamed of, and invite our loved ones into the important conversation around how to manage and control this virus. We need for elected officials to champion the needs of Black people living with HIV or at risk of contracting the virus, including by holding pharmaceutical companies, health insurance executives, and providers accountable for their role in creating and continuing racialized health inequities.
"It's time for all of us to challenge the continued shame and stigma around HIV. We need to create space for those thriving with HIV to share their stories, and to encourage openness about the steps folks take to protect themselves from the virus.
"Having the education, communication tools, medically accurate information, and access we need around HIV/AIDs awareness is an essential part of the ability of Black queer, trans, and non-binary people to flourish as our full, beautiful selves."
This article shared 1327 times since Sun Sep 27, 2020
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Joe Hollendoner to lead Los Angeles LGBT Center
- Joe Hollendonerwho was once in executive leadership roles at AIDS Foundation of Chicago and Howard Brown Health as well as a Windy City Times 30 Under 30 honoreewill officially succeed Lorri Jean as CEO of the ...
|Pioneering AIDS researcher Dr. Joseph Sonnabend dead at 88 2021-01-24|
--From a media release by HIVPlusMagazine - Pioneering AIDS researcher and clinician Joseph Sonnabend, 88, died Jan. 24, 2021 at the Wellington Hospital in London, after suffering a heart attack on Jan.3, 2021. Born in Johannesburg, South Africa, to a physician mother and ...
|Howard Brown developing new center in Northalsted area
- Howard Brown Health has chosen Inland National Development Company, LLC to develop its newest healthcare center in Chicago's Northalsted neighborhood (formerly known as Boystown), according to REJournals. There are plans ...
|Vulnerable communities slow to adopt key strategy to stop HIV's spread 2021-01-11|
--From a UCLA press release - LOS ANGELES — Taking a daily pill to prevent HIV transmission is one of the most effective biomedical strategies available to combat the virus' spread, yet use of this health regimen remains low among vulnerable communities ...
|National Minority AIDS Council responds to attack on U.S. Capitol 2021-01-06|
- Jan. 6, 2021 - National Minority AIDS Council (NMAC) Executive Director Paul Kawata has released the following statement on today's attack on the U.S. Capitol. "NMAC is completely saddened, sickened, and in total shock over the riots at the U.S. ...
|WORLD Lithuania outlook, HIV/AIDS and COVID, lawyer arrested, trans youth 2020-12-27|
- Lithuania appears set to legalize same-sex civil partnerships next year, but same-sex marriage could be up to a decade away, according to Tomas Raskevicius—the country's only openly LGBT+ lawmaker, Reuters reported. "We're going to submit t ...
|AIDS Garden projected for fall 2021 completion 2020-12-22|
- State Rep. Yoni Pizer convened a virtual meeting Dec. 21 to discuss the progress of the AIDS Garden Chicago. The long-planned site is "destined to become a true Chicago landmark and destination," said Pizer as he ...
|AIDS Garden Chicago installation update coming Dec. 21
- CHICAGO — On Monday, Dec. 21 at 11 a.m., 12th District State Representative Yoni Pizer will be hosting a virtual town hall with fellow elected officials, community partners, and project managers to provide a progress report ...
|AIDS Foundation Chicago, Cook County Health mark World AIDS Day 2020-11-30|
--From a press release - AIDS Foundation Chicago (AFC) and Cook County Health are collaborating for a special virtual event in honor of World AIDS Day, a global movement to increase public awareness and dialogue about HIV and AIDS, on Dec. ...
|Day With(out) Art: Transmissions launches online Nov. 30 2020-11-18|
--From a press release - NEW YORK, Nov. 16, 2020 — Visual AIDS, the only contemporary arts organization fully committed to raising AIDS and HIV awareness through dialogue, art exhibitions and public forums, announces their ...
|Congressional co-chairs introduce World AIDS Day resolution
- U.S. Reps. Barbara Lee (CA-13) and Rep. Jenniffer Gonzalez Colon (PR-At Large), co-chairs of the Congressional HIV/AIDS Caucus, introduced a bipartisan resolution supporting the goals of World AIDS Day, according ...
|Gov. Pritzker, Vanessa Williams to be at AFC's 'Gala35' Nov. 19 2020-11-13|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — AIDS Foundation Chicago (AFC) marks its milestone 35th year of service with 'Gala35,' a virtual celebration and fundraiser taking place Thursday, Nov. 19, at 6 p.m. The event features an esteemed panel of guest ...
|Advocate Craig Johnson named next board chair of AIDS Foundation of Chicago
- In October, AIDS Foundation Chicago (AFC)'s board of directors voted Craig W. Johnson as the next AFC board chair. Craig has served on the board since 2017, and most recently worked as board vice chair and ...
|AIDS Foundation of Chicago's 'Gala35' Nov. 19 2020-10-25|
- AIDS Foundation of Chicago's (AFC's) "Gala35"marking its 35th anniversarywill be a virtual event taking place Thursday, Nov. 19, at 6 p.m. Gala35 marks the organization's 35th year of service and will be its premier gatheri ...
|NATIONAL Autistic trans guide, trans death, AIDS Quilt, intersex study 2020-10-19|
- The National LGBTQ Task Force and the AWNNetwork released a collaborative guide, "Before You Go: Know Your Rights & What to Expect at the Doctor and in the Hospital"a groundbreaking first-of-its-kind publication filled with tips and ...