WINDY CITY TIMES
||PASSAGES James Taylor Bannen
This article shared 1781 times since Fri Nov 17, 2023
James Taylor Bannen, 61, of Chicago's Rogers Park neighborhood, passed away Nov. 11 after an unexpected cardiac event.
James was born in Rockford and grew up in Terre Haute, Indiana, the son of Howard James Bannen, Jr. and Barbara Taylor Bannen (nee Olwin). He was the great-great grandson of George B. Swift, the former mayor of Chicago. James dearly loved the city and lived there for most of his life.
Jim graduated from the University of Wisconsin at Madison with a Bachelor's in Finance, and later from DePaul University with an MBA and a Master's degree in Public Policy. He went on to have a long career in the insurance industry.
A kind, loving, and generous person and a prolific reader, Jim was also a fan of 80's alternative music and drawing cartoons. He volunteered at Howard Brown Health Center and tutored children. Jim was the faithful companion of Patron the Pomeranian and the late Shante the Pekinese.
James is survived by his beloved husband of eight years (together for 25 years) Mario Iran Martinez. He is also survived by sisters Gail (Daniel) Clutter and Betsy (Mark) Kesner; brother Philip Bannen; niece Grace Clutter; nephews William Clutter and Matt Kesner aunts Mary Bannen DuBois and Vera Schmitt Bannen; and numerous cousins and friends.
A celebration of his life is being planned.
Arrangements by Inclusive Funeral Care, 773-370-2959 or www.InclusiveFuneralCare.com .
This article shared 1781 times since Fri Nov 17, 2023
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|'She was here...and she is here': Street to be renamed after Elise Malary 2023-11-30|
By Alec Karam - The memory of the late activist Elise Malary will soon become a permanent part of Andersonville's Catalpa Avenue. The renamed "Elise Malary Way" will encompass the Catalpa Plaza area, a planned pedestrian plaza between Ashland Avenue ...
|PASSAGES Todd Vitale 2023-11-28|
- Todd Louis Vitale, 60, a professional vocalist and Realtor who lived in Chicago's Sheridan Park neighborhood, passed away peacefully Nov. 15, after a long battle with ALS-Lou Gehrig's disease. Born in East St. Louis, Illinois, Todd ...
|Chicagoans gather to mark the 2023 Trans Day of Remembrance 2023-11-20|
- Brave Space Alliance, Chicago Therapy Collective and Life is Work joined forces to celebrate Trans Day of Remembrance under the banner New Era Together Nov. 19 at Venue West, 221 N. Paulina St., on the West ...
|PASSAGES: Mexico's first out nonbinary magistrate Jesus Ociel Baena Saucedo 2023-11-19|
- On Nov. 13, Mexico's first out nonbinary magistrate and LGBTQ+ activist Jesus Ociel Baena Saucedo was found dead in their state of Aguascalientes home alongside their partner Dorian Herrera. They were 38. According to state prosecutor ...
|PASSAGES Ashley Marie McClure-Wolfson 2023-11-17|
- Ashley Marie McClure-Wolfson, "Ash," pharmacist, BCACP, AAHIVP, passed away suddenly Nov. 11. She was 35 and a resident of the Andersonville neighborhood. Born in Burnsville, Minnesota, Ashley graduated from Burnsville High School and completed a six-year ...
|PASSAGES Best-selling author, labor lawyer, feminist, LGBTQ ally Linda Hirshman 2023-11-17|
- Best-selling author, renowned pro-union labor lawyer, Brandeis University professor, feminist and LGBTQ ally Linda Hirshman died Oct. 31 in Burlington, Vermont of cancer. She was 79. Hirshman was born April 26, 1944, in Cleveland where she ...
|Equality Illinois mourns the death of Magistrate Dr. Jesus Ociel Baena Saucedo 2023-11-16|
--From a press release - Statement by Mony Ruiz-Velasco, Deputy Director at Equality Illinois, the state's civil rights organization for LGBTQ+ people, regarding the death of Dr Jesus Ociel Baena Saucedo: "I am deeply saddened to learn of the death of ...
|PASSAGES Local bowling legend, Wordle enthusiast Mary Ann Graziano 2023-11-10|
- Mary Ann Graziano was a fervent Wordle player, avid bowler and an ace golfer. But above all else, she was a friend to many. The Palatine native died Oct. 9 at the age of 82, after a long illness that left ...
|PASSAGES: Chicagoan Lisa Love 2023-11-07|
- Chicagoan Lisa Love was shot and killed in the early morning hours of Oct. 17. She was 35, and at the time was the 33rd transgender, nonbinary or gender non-conforming American to be killed in 2023, ...
|PASSAGES: Activist, former Organized Chaos Chicago president Kathy Guzman 2023-11-07|
- Community activist, former Organized Chaos Chicago (OCC) president and founding member and now-retired queer women-focused L Stop website editor-at-large and writer Kathy Guzman died October 26 of heart complications. She ...
|PASSAGES Avid ceramicist Don Heggemann remembered for 'dedicated,' lively presence 2023-11-03|
- Ceramics instructor Dubhe Carreño first met Don Heggemann when he took her Saturday general ceramics class at Northeastern Illinois University in 2010. He took every one of her classes after that. Heggemann eventually joined the staff ...
|Boisterous activist/business owner Marge Summit remembered 2023-10-17|
- A group of Chicago-area friends gathered Oct. 15 at the Baton Show Lounge to celebrate the extraordinary life of LGBTQ+ activist and community organizer and former bar owner Marge Summit. Summit, the former owner of the ...
|PASSAGES: Lighting specialist, Chicago Gay Men's Chorus alum Xavier Yager 2023-10-09|
- Lighting specialist, former Proctor and Gamble pharmaceutical sales representative and Chicago Gay Men's Chorus alum Xavier Yager died Oct. 1 in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico in his home due to heart failure. He was 66. Yager was ...
|PASSAGES: Peter Vamvakas 2023-10-06|
- Peter Vamvakas of Forest Parka loving partner, son, brother, uncle, and frienddied Aug. 23. due to complications from an accident while vacationing in Key West, Florida. He was 60. He was born in Chicago on April ...
|PASSAGES: Renowned DJ, music producer Teresa K. Bristol aka Teri Bristol 2023-10-06|
- Renowned DJ and music producer Teresa Kaye Bristol, aka Teri Bristol, died Sept. 25 in Beechgrove, Tennessee of kidney failure, following an over three-year battle with the disease. She was 66. Bristol was born Dec. 26, ...