||PASSAGES Robert Thomas Cichocki, J.D. dies at 70
This article shared 1127 times since Thu Feb 11, 2021
Robert Thomas Cichocki, J.D., passed away peacefully at home in Chicago's Lake View neighborhood on Feb. 5. He was 70.
After earning his B.A. from Wayne State University and his J.D. from The John Marshall Law School, Bob went on to enjoy a 40-year career as a skilled corporate and real estate attorney and lecturer. He was the recipient of the1993 Real Estate Educator of the Year from the Association of Illinois Real Estate Educators. Bob also was a leader on issues of diversity, equity, and inclusion within the legal profession.
Bob was a gentleman and a gifted storyteller, and if you had a full cup of coffee, he always had a story to get you through that cup of coffee, whether it be about societal happenings in Chicago or a grand throwback to the way things used to be. Widely known for his generosity, he hosted/co-hosted numerous events to benefit a host of charitable organizations and served on the Boards of the Ernest Hemingway Foundation of Oak Park, The Center of Halsted of Chicago and The Anthony Quinn Foundation of Bristol, Rhode Island.
Bob is survived by his beloved husband, John Frederic Schussler; his faithful dog (Theo); and many other family and friends. He is preceded in death by his parents, Martha (nee Schefke) and Adolph Joseph Cichocki, and his brother, Dennis Cichocki.
Due to COVID-19 restrictions, only a small family service will be held at Resurrection Cemetery, Clinton Township, Michigan. A future larger memorial service will be held in Chicago at a date and location TBD.
In lieu of flowers, donations may be made in his name to PAWSChicago, www.pawschicago.org .
Arrangements by Cremation Society of Illinois, 773-281-5058 or www.cremation-society.com .
This article shared 1127 times since Thu Feb 11, 2021
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|PASSAGES Maya Kali Evans dies at 53 2021-02-19|
- Maya Kali Evans (formerly Curtis O. Love)—a tattoo artist and caregiver who resided in Newark, Illinois, and who previously lived in Chicago and Philadelphia—passed away peacefully Feb. 18, 2021, at home in Newark. She was 53. ...
|PASSAGES Dr. Gary B. Beringer, epidemiologist, dies at 70 2021-02-17|
- Epidemiologist Gary B. Beringer, Dr. P.H., age 70, passed away suddenly Wednesday, Jan. 27 at his home in Chicago, IL. Gary, an only child, is survived by his wife, Nancy M. Abbate, who worked closely with ...
|Queer musician Ari Gold dies at 47
- New York City-based dance artist Ari Gold has died at age 47 after a long battle with cancer, according to out.com. Gold—who was also known as Sir Ari and GoldNation— released seven albums as a part ...
|PASSAGES Gordon Keith Richardson 2021-02-08|
- Gordon Keith Richardson of Washington, D.C., passed away on Feb. 4, 2021, at the age of 60 from complications of COVID-19. Keith was born in Leadville, CO, and raised primarily in St. Charles, Missouri. He graduated ...
|Former CTU President Karen Lewis dies at 67
- Former Chicago Teachers Union (CTU) President Karen Lewis has died at age 67, The Chicago Tribune reported. She led a seven-day strike in 2012 (the first in a quarter-century) and was a one-time mayoral hopeful who ...
PASSAGES Elzie Bates
- Elzie Bates was born at home April 6, 1931, in McComb, Mississippi. His birth was never officially recorded so for most of his adult life, his many friends celebrated his birthday on the day of Elzie's ...
|PASSAGES Carmen Vazquez, social justice activist 2021-01-28|
--From press releases - The National LGBTQ Task Force: The National LGBTQ Task Force is deeply saddened to announce the death of Carmen Vàzquez, long-time LGBTQ+ and social justice activist. Carmen died on Jan. 27, 2021 of COVID related complications. ...
|Pioneering AIDS researcher Dr. Joseph Sonnabend dead at 88 2021-01-24|
--From a media release by HIVPlusMagazine - Pioneering AIDS researcher and clinician Joseph Sonnabend, 88, died Jan. 24, 2021 at the Wellington Hospital in London, after suffering a heart attack on Jan.3, 2021. Born in Johannesburg, South Africa, to a physician mother and ...
|Broadcasting legend Larry King dies at 87
- Broadcasting icon Larry King has died at age 87, CNN.com reported. King died at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, Ora Media, the studio and network he co-founded, tweeted. No cause of death was given, but ...
|PASSAGES Kevin McCarthy 2021-01-19|
- Kevin Creedon McCarthy, of Chicago's Andersonville neighborhood, passed away after a brief illness on Jan. 11. He was 53. Raised in Arlington Heights, Kevin studied communications at the University of Missouri before embarking on a long ...
|PASSAGES George H. Gibson 2021-01-06|
- George Horner Gibson died at his home in Chicago on Jan. 3, 2021. He was 88. Gibson was born in Baltimore, Maryland, and grew up in Charlotte, North Carolina. He graduated from Furman University with bachelor's ...
|PASSAGES Chicago activist Benny Montgomery dies
- Benny M. Montgomery Jr.—a longtime Chicago-based LGBTQ-rights activist who had worked as a constituent services administrator for U.S. Rep. Danny Davis and former Congresswoman Cardiss Collins, among other politicians—passed away ...
|Chicago trans woman Eshay Key, 25, dies in Christmas shooting 2020-12-28|
Column by Sue Kerr - Just a week after writing about the ugly shooting death of a 19-year-old Black gender nonconforming young adult while they were at a Christmas party, I was hopeful there would be no more deaths to cover ...
|'Party Monster' killer Michael Alig dies at 54
- Michael Alig who was at the center of the LGBTQ "club kids" scene in late 1980s and early '90s Manhattan, and whose involvement in the murder and dismemberment of his drug dealer was chronicled in the 2003 film Party Monster died Dec. 25th ...
|PASSAGES Chicago gay pioneer Richard Cooke dies 2020-12-17|
- Richard Cooke, a longtime Chicago resident and familiar East Lakeview presence along with his dachshund Governor, died in the early morning hours of Dec. 12, after suffering a heart attack earlier in the week. He was ...