WINDY CITY TIMES
||Plaintiff in historic Florida marriage-equality lawsuit found dead
This article shared 833 times since Fri Jan 14, 2022
In Florida, Jorge Diaz-Johnston was recently found dead in a Jackson County landfill, ABC News reported.
Diaz-Johnston, 54, was reported missing on Jan. 3 near his workplace and police are investigating his death as a homicide, according to a police spokesperson.
Diaz-Johnston was one of the plaintiffs in a 2014 lawsuit against the Miami-Dade county clerk's office, which refused to issue same-sex marriage licenses. The couples eventually prevailed.
Diaz-Johnston was the brother of Manny Diaz, the former Miami mayor and current chair of the Florida Democratic Party.
In a tweet, Equality Florida posted, "We are heartbroken to learn of the death of Jorge. He and his husband Don were two of the brave plaintiffs who took on Florida's anti-gay marriage ban and helped win marriage equality for all Floridians. Our deepest condolences to Don and Jorge's extended family."
This article shared 833 times since Fri Jan 14, 2022
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|With her sexual orientation called a motive to kill, she's now appealing for clemency 2022-01-28|
- This story was initially produced by Injustice Watch, a nonprofit newsroom focused on exposing institutional failures that obstruct justice and equality. Subscribe to their weekly newsletter here. Prosecutors in Bernina Mata's 1999 murder trial made ...
|Smollett to be sentenced March 10 2022-01-28|
- On Jan. 27, a judge set an in-person sentencing hearing for March 10 for embattled actor Jussie Smollett (Alien Covenant; TV's Empire), who was convicted by a jury last December of faking a hate crime attack ...
|Supreme Court Justice Breyer to retire; groups urge Biden to increase court's diversity 2022-01-26|
- U.S. Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyerthe panel's oldest memberplans to retire, giving President Joe Biden his first opportunity to nominate a member of the nation's top court. Breyer, 83, informed the president last week of his ...
|Justice Stephen Breyer, champion of LGBTQ+ equality, to retire; HRC comments 2022-01-26|
-- From a press release - WASHINGTON — Today, in response to United States Supreme Court Associate Justice Stephen Breyer announcing his retirement, Human Rights Campaign Interim President Joni Madison issued the following statement: "With Justice ...
|VIEWPOINT: FDA must lift discriminatory blood-donor policy 2022-01-26|
- With the nation's blood supply at its lowest point in a decade, and the American Red Cross declaring its first-ever national blood crisis earlier this month, it is time for the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) ...
|Indiana Court of Appeals denies trans teen's birth certificate gender-marker change 2022-01-26|
- Last August, the Indiana Court of Appeals, in a two-to-one ruling, denied the request of a transgender teen's ("H.S.") to have his birth certificate's gender marker changed from female to male. A trial court judge in ...
|Report: Taliban targeting LGBT Afghans 2022-01-26|
- OutRight Action International and Human Rights Watch said in a report that LGBT Afghans and people who do not conform to rigid gender norms in Afghanistan have faced an increasingly desperate situation and grave threats to ...
|Ex-NU professor sentenced for fatally stabbing boyfriend 2022-01-26|
- On Jan. 25, former Northwestern University professor Wyndham Lathamwho, in October 2021, was found guilty of first-degree murder in the stabbing death of Trenton Cornellwas sentenced to 53 years in prison, WGN-TV reported. Lathem, 47, was ...
|Michigan settlement lets faith-based agencies reject same-sex adoptions 2022-01-26|
- Faith-based adoption agencies that contract with Michigan can refuse to place children with same-sex couples under a proposed settlement filed in federal court, a HuffPost item noted. The development happened months after the U.S. Supreme Court ...
|Florida lawmakers pass "Don't Say Gay" bill, Black LGBTQ+ civil rights group responds 2022-01-25|
-- From a National Black Justice Coalition press release - FLORIDA — The Florida House Education & Employment Committee has passed HB 1557, the Parental Rights in Education bill, known as the "Don't Say Gay" bill. This bill and its companion Senate bill SB 1834 would ...
|Pope Benedict admits mistake in sex-abuse case 2022-01-25|
- On Jan. 24, retired Pope Benedict XVI admitted that he did attend a meeting in Munich in 1980 where an abusive priest was discussed, saying an earlier denial was the result of an editing mistake, according ...
|Cook County gets $500K from MacArthur Foundation to increase racial equality in justice system 2022-01-24|
-- From a press release - [Chicago, Jan. 24, 2022] — Last week, Cook County was announced as the recipient of a $500,000 grant by the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation to build upon existing efforts to address racial and ...
|WORLD Namibia ruling, crimes, LGBTQ+ film festival, blogger sentenced 2022-01-23|
- Namibia's High Court ruled against two same-sex couples fighting for recognition of their marriages, with Judge Hannelie Prinsloo saying she agreed with them but was bound by the nation's prohibition of same-sex relations, Reuters reported. Daniel ...
|NATIONAL Trans deaths, N.J. official, political items, 'Queer Eye' 2022-01-23|
- The murders of two Black transgender women in the early days of the new year struck an ominous tone in the wake of two of the deadliest years on record for transgender Americans, Gay City News ...
|HRC condemns NCAA for failure to protect LGBTQ+ athletes 2022-01-21|
-- From a press release - WASHINGTON, D.C. Late last night, the NCAA ratified (https://www.ncaa.org/news/2022/1/20/media-center-ncaa-members-approve-new-constitution.aspx) its new constitution, which does not include nondiscrimination policy language that had ...