||Quinn, Simon, Topinka at March on Springfield for Marriage Equality
From a press release
This article shared 8053 times since Fri Oct 18, 2013
Gov. Quinn, Lt. Gov. Simon, & Comptroller Topinka to participate in March on Springfield for March on Equality. Statewide officers will join thousands of fellow Illinoisans pushing the Illinois House to pass marriage equality during the fall veto session
CHICAGO — Organizers of the March on Springfield for Marriage Equality announced today that Governor Pat Quinn ( D ) will open the rally on October 22 with a welcome to the thousands of Illinoisans traveling there to call for passage of marriage equality in Illinois.
Lieutenant Governor Sheila Simon ( D ) and Illinois Comptroller Judy Baar Topinka ( R ) confirmed they will also join the rally to show their support for marriage equality.
The March on Springfield for Marriage Equality will get underway at Noon on Tuesday, October 22, 2013, with a free one-hour concert. The 90-minute rally will begin with welcoming remarks by Gov. Quinn at 1 pm. A march around the Capitol will begin at 2:30 pm. Up to 5,000 people are expected to attend from all over Illinois.
About the March
The March on Springfield for Marriage Equality will take place on Tuesday, Oct. 22, 2013, the scheduled first day of the fall veto session of the Illinois state legislature. The "March on Springfield" is part of a broad grassroots strategy to secure final passage of Senate Bill 10, the "Religious Freedom and Marriage Fairness Act," already approved by the Illinois Senate. Once adopted, Illinois will become the 14th state plus the District of Columbia, to treat all of its citizens equally under state marriage laws, and all married people in Illinois will be treated equally under federal law. For more information, visit www.MarchOnSpringfield.org, or find the March at Facebook.com/MarchOnSpringfieldForMarriageEquality or on Twitter @IllinoisMarches.
Note for Media:
Resources for media will be available at the March on Springfield for Marriage Equality, including a riser for television cameras, electricity & internet access, a media tent for quiet interviews, and a list of speakers, families, politicians and activists who will be available for interviews. Access to the riser and tent will require a media credential, provided to media representatives at the rally. Full information will be distributed via email by October 15, and will be available at www.marchonspringfield.org/media.php.
This article shared 8053 times since Fri Oct 18, 2013
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Russian leader Putin officially bans same-sex marriage
- On April 5, Russian President Vladimir Putin signed into law a series of constitutional amendments that, among other things, formally defines marriage as between a man and a woman in the country, The Washington Blade reported. ...
|Global momentum for marriage equality surges,"Freedom to Marry Global" website created 2021-03-31|
--From a freedomtomarry.org press release - April 1st marks twenty years since the Netherlands ended the exclusion of same-sex couples from marriage, becoming the first of so far 30 countries worldwide to affirm the freedom to marry for same-sex couples. Now, two ...
|WORLD Landmark ruling, Montreal's Gay Village, acid attack, anti-LGBTQ laws 2021-03-21|
- In a landmark ruling, a Japanese court ruled that the government's ban on same-sex marriage is unconstitutional, NPR noted. Article 24 of Japan's constitution defines marriage as based on the "mutual consent of both sexes," which ...
|LETTER The Vatican's words and actions do not echo love 2021-03-18|
- The LGBTQA community is responding with shock, anger and frustration at the Vatican's Congregation for the Doctrine of Faith statement concerning same-sex unions. Many in our community can't understand why Pope Francis would allow such a ...
|Pope Francis documentary 'Francesco' to debut March 26
- Pope Francisin the news lately because of the Catholic Church's stance that it cannot bless same-sex unions, adding that it is "not licit" to bless relationships that involve sexual activity outside of marriageis the subject of ...
|DignityUSA: Vatican denying same-sex blessings "Exacerbates pain and anger" 2021-03-16|
--From a press release - March 15, 2021. DignityUSA, the organization of Catholics working for justice, equality, and full inclusion of LGBTQI people in the church and society, is deeply disappointed by the Vatican's statement unequivocally denying blessings to same-sex coupl ...
|Vatican won't bless same-sex unions
- The Catholic Church said it cannot bless same-sex unions, adding that it is "not licit" to bless relationships that involve sexual activity outside of marriage, according to an NBC News item. The Congregation for the Doctrine ...
|Commission: Jamaica should repeal same-sex ban
- The Inter-American Commission on Human Rights (IACHR), the top rights body of the Americas, said in a symbolic landmark ruling on Feb. 17 that Jamaica should repeal its colonial-era gay sex ban, Reuters reported. Two Jamaicans ...
|Leading groups submit amicus briefs against discrimination against LGBT surviving spouses 2021-02-08|
--From a press release - WASHINGTON D.C.—AARP, AARP Foundation, SAGE and the American Society on Aging (ASA) filed amicus briefs today in the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit arguing that the ...
|WORLD Honduran Congress, deportation, Canadian support, athlete comes out 2021-01-24|
- On Jan. 21, members of the Honduran Congress voted to amend the constitution, making it much harder to reverse existing hard-line bans on abortion and same-sex marriage, as lawmakers double down on socially conservative priorities, Openly ...
|NATIONAL Marriage proposal, Creating Change, mural erased, 'Queer Santa' 2021-01-05|
- A COVID-19 vaccine appointment at a Canton, South Dakota, hospital turned into a marriage proposal for one healthcare couple, CNN.com noted. Robbie Vargas-Cortes, 31, a paramedic and EMS supervisor, was scheduled to get his vaccination on ...
|WORLD Lithuania outlook, HIV/AIDS and COVID, lawyer arrested, trans youth 2020-12-27|
- Lithuania appears set to legalize same-sex civil partnerships next year, but same-sex marriage could be up to a decade away, according to Tomas Raskevicius—the country's only openly LGBT+ lawmaker, Reuters reported. "We're going to submit t ...
|Switzerland's parliament okays marriage equality,
residents to have final say 2020-12-18|
- On Dec. 18, the Swiss parliament approved a bill allowing same-sex couples to marry, finally bringing the nation in line with much of Europe on LGBTQ rights, TheLocal.ch reported. However, the Swiss residents themselves will have ...
- "You can't say that marriage is a union between one man and one woman. Until very recently, that's what the vast majority of Americans thought. Now it's considered bigotry."Supreme Court Justice Samuel Alito. So much for ...
|WORLD Canada museum, gay NZ leader, marriage items, 'Drag Race' 2020-11-09|
- The embattled Canadian Museum for Human Rights (CMHR) said it's planning sweeping changes to rebuild the organization more than four months after staff came forward with shocking allegations of racism and LGBT censorship, CBC.ca reported. The ...