||Quinn, Simon, Topinka at March on Springfield for Marriage Equality
From a press release
This article shared 7845 times since Fri Oct 18, 2013
Gov. Quinn, Lt. Gov. Simon, & Comptroller Topinka to participate in March on Springfield for March on Equality. Statewide officers will join thousands of fellow Illinoisans pushing the Illinois House to pass marriage equality during the fall veto session
CHICAGO — Organizers of the March on Springfield for Marriage Equality announced today that Governor Pat Quinn ( D ) will open the rally on October 22 with a welcome to the thousands of Illinoisans traveling there to call for passage of marriage equality in Illinois.
Lieutenant Governor Sheila Simon ( D ) and Illinois Comptroller Judy Baar Topinka ( R ) confirmed they will also join the rally to show their support for marriage equality.
The March on Springfield for Marriage Equality will get underway at Noon on Tuesday, October 22, 2013, with a free one-hour concert. The 90-minute rally will begin with welcoming remarks by Gov. Quinn at 1 pm. A march around the Capitol will begin at 2:30 pm. Up to 5,000 people are expected to attend from all over Illinois.
About the March
The March on Springfield for Marriage Equality will take place on Tuesday, Oct. 22, 2013, the scheduled first day of the fall veto session of the Illinois state legislature. The "March on Springfield" is part of a broad grassroots strategy to secure final passage of Senate Bill 10, the "Religious Freedom and Marriage Fairness Act," already approved by the Illinois Senate. Once adopted, Illinois will become the 14th state plus the District of Columbia, to treat all of its citizens equally under state marriage laws, and all married people in Illinois will be treated equally under federal law. For more information, visit www.MarchOnSpringfield.org, or find the March at Facebook.com/MarchOnSpringfieldForMarriageEquality or on Twitter @IllinoisMarches.
Note for Media:
Resources for media will be available at the March on Springfield for Marriage Equality, including a riser for television cameras, electricity & internet access, a media tent for quiet interviews, and a list of speakers, families, politicians and activists who will be available for interviews. Access to the riser and tent will require a media credential, provided to media representatives at the rally. Full information will be distributed via email by October 15, and will be available at www.marchonspringfield.org/media.php.
This article shared 7845 times since Fri Oct 18, 2013
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|NATIONAL Marriage proposal, Creating Change, mural erased, 'Queer Santa' 2021-01-05|
- A COVID-19 vaccine appointment at a Canton, South Dakota, hospital turned into a marriage proposal for one healthcare couple, CNN.com noted. Robbie Vargas-Cortes, 31, a paramedic and EMS supervisor, was scheduled to get his vaccination on ...
|WORLD Lithuania outlook, HIV/AIDS and COVID, lawyer arrested, trans youth 2020-12-27|
- Lithuania appears set to legalize same-sex civil partnerships next year, but same-sex marriage could be up to a decade away, according to Tomas Raskevicius—the country's only openly LGBT+ lawmaker, Reuters reported. "We're going to submit t ...
|Switzerland's parliament okays marriage equality,
residents to have final say 2020-12-18|
- On Dec. 18, the Swiss parliament approved a bill allowing same-sex couples to marry, finally bringing the nation in line with much of Europe on LGBTQ rights, TheLocal.ch reported. However, the Swiss residents themselves will have ...
- "You can't say that marriage is a union between one man and one woman. Until very recently, that's what the vast majority of Americans thought. Now it's considered bigotry."Supreme Court Justice Samuel Alito. So much for ...
|WORLD Canada museum, gay NZ leader, marriage items, 'Drag Race' 2020-11-09|
- The embattled Canadian Museum for Human Rights (CMHR) said it's planning sweeping changes to rebuild the organization more than four months after staff came forward with shocking allegations of racism and LGBT censorship, CBC.ca reported. The ...
|Jennifer N. Pritzker, Erin E. Solaro wed 2020-11-02|
--From a press release - Jennifer N. Pritzker and Erin E. Solaro were married in a private ceremony in Chicago on Oct. 31, 2020. Ms. Pritzker is President & CEO of TAWANI Enterprises Inc., Lieutenant Colonel U.S. Army, Retired, and Founder ...
|WORLD Taiwan marriages, Nigeria court, protests, GQ Awards 2020-11-02|
- Two women became the first military officers to marry their same-sex civilian partners at a mass military wedding in Taiwanmarking another landmark for LGBTQ+ rights in Asia, CNN.com reported. The island's defense ministry called it an ...
|LGBTQ+ Equality Caucus co-chairs bring resolution affirming court's marriage ruling 2020-10-30|
--From a press release - Washington, D.C. - Tomorrow the Congressional LGBTQ+ Equality Caucus Co-Chairs, Chris Pappas (NH-01), David Cicilline (RI-01), Angie Craig (MN-02), Sharice L. Davids (KS-03), Sean Patrick Maloney ...
|NATIONAL Marriage support, GLSEN, LGBTQ voting campaigns 2020-10-26|
- Seventy percent of Americans support same-sex marriage, according to the 11th annual American Values Surveythe highest percentage recorded by a major national poll, NBC News reported. The results found just 28 percent of respondents oppose the ...
|Pope calls for same-sex civil unions in documentary (UPDATED) 2020-10-21|
- In a departure from the position held by the Vatican's doctrinal office, Pope Francis called for the passage of civil union laws for same-sex couples in a documentary that aired in Rome, NBC News noted. "Homosexuals ...
|WORLD India couple, Japan items, pro-trans writers, Nigeria job fair 2020-10-12|
- In India, a same-sex couple approached the Delhi High Court seeking legal recognition of their marriage under the Foreign Marriage Act, India.com reported. The petitioners, an Indian citizen and an overseas citizen, are two gay men ...
|NATIONAL Marriage equality, minister and trans journalist die, HRC 2020-10-12|
- LGBTQ-rights advocates are warning of a renewed threat to marriage equality, NBC News reported. President Donald Trump's nomination of Judge Amy Coney Barrett to the Supreme Court to succeed Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg ignited fears of ...
|Threat to marriage equality looms at Supreme Court, Lambda Legal responds 2020-10-05|
--From a press release - (Washington, D.C., October 5, 2020) — Today, in a statement in Davis v. Ermold, authored by Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas and joined by Justice Samuel Alito, the Justices indicated a desire to overturn Obergefell v. ...
|WORLD Vancouver protest, dating apps, Budapest Pride, N. Ireland marriages 2020-09-08|
- In Canada, protesters held a beach dance party in Vancouver's West End night in a bid to disrupt an event by a Toronto preacher who has been accused of anti-LGBTQ hate speech, CBC.ca reported. David Lynn, ...
|NATIONAL Bakery situation, tribal marriage, anti-LGBTQ crimes, Penn. lawmakers 2020-08-10|
- Extreme right-wing organization the Church Militant requested that Detroit bakery Good Cakes and Bakes co-owner April Anderson (who's LGBTQ) put on a cake, "Homosexual acts are gravely evil. (Catholic Catechism ...