(Chicago, IL) AIDS Foundation Chicago (AFC) announces the return of its popular $24 for 24 promotion on July 24 for discounted registration for the 31st annual AIDS Run & Walk Chicago (ARWC) taking place Oct. 2 at Soldier Field. For 24 hours, the 5K Walk or Roll, 5K and 10K Runs will be available at a discounted rate of $24, and no promo code is required. Those interested in registering can visit aidsrunwalk.org or call 312-334-0953.
Additionally, AFC announced the 28 recipients of its CommunityDirect program (full list below), which aims to provide unrestricted financial support to organizations that provide essential programs and services to Chicagoans who are living with and vulnerable to HIV/AIDS and other chronic illnesses. These community-based recipients will receive proceeds raised through the ARWC.
Of the 28 recipients, 17 serve Chicago's south and west sides which predominantly provide services to Black and Brown communities. According to the Getting to Zero-Illinois Dashboard, 395 of 652 new HIV diagnoses in 2019 were within the Black community, a decline from the 544 new diagnoses in 2010. Programs such as CommunityDirect and Getting to Zero-Illinois have helped cases decline, but work remains to get to zero new HIV diagnoses by 2030.
Since the event was established in 1991, AIDS Run & Walk Chicago has drawn more than 23,000 advocates and raised more than $5.5 million to battle the epidemic. Through the CommunityDirect program, which launched in 2005, each organization receives up to 92% of the funds their team raises as unrestricted funding to continue actively working towards Getting to Zero, a state-wide initiative to end the HIV epidemic in Illinois by 2030.
2022 CommunityDirect Recipients
- Agape Mission
- Ascension Health Housing and Health Alliance
- Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of Chicago
- Center on Halsted
- Chicago Black Gay Men's Caucus
- Chicago Dancers United
- Chicago House & Social Service Agency
- Cook County HIV Integrated Program
- Erie Family Health Centers
- Esperanza Health Centers
- Howard Brown Health Center
- Legal Council for Health Justice
- Life Is Work
- Lurie Children's SID
- Michael Reese Care Program at Mercy
- Mother & Child Alliance
- Open Door Health Center of Illinois
- Pride Action Tank
- Project VIDA
- Public Health Institute of Metropolitan Chicago
- Season of Concern
- Sinai Health System
- TaskForce Prevention and Community Services
- Transforming Re-Entry Services (Men and Women in Prison Ministries
- University of Chicago/Chicago Center for HIV Elimination
- WE Organization
- Westside Pastors' Coalition for AIDS