WINDY CITY TIMES
||THEATER DuSable, puppet company to run Toni Morrison's 'The Bluest Eye'
This article shared 620 times since Thu Jan 13, 2022
The DuSable Museum of African American History is partnering with the 4th Chicago International Puppet Theater Festival to present a production of The Bluest Eye, based on Toni Morrison's 1970 groundbreaking coming-of-age novel.
The production will run Jan. 28-30 at DuSable, 740 E. 56th Pl.
The Bluest Eye tells the indelible story of Pecola Breedlove, a young Black girl caught in tragic circumstances. Her best friend narrates Pecola's search for the source of responsibility and for an understanding of her own part in the story. The play examines how identity is shaped, while South African artist Janni Younge's puppetry highlights the formation and fragility of self, literally building the self as it is held and supported (or not) by a community at large.
Tickets are $30 ($20 for students) and are on sale now at chicagopuppetfest.org . The Bluest Eye runs two hours, and is recommended for people 16 and older.
Note: COVID-19 safety precautions will be in effect per city and state mandates, including proof of vaccination (with ID), and mandatory mask-wearing throughout the performance.
This article shared 620 times since Thu Jan 13, 2022
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|THEATER "The world keeps spinnin' 'round and 'round" for Andrew Levitt in Hairspray 2022-01-28|
- "Welcome to the '60s," where psychedelic fashions ruled and mini-skirts were everywhere. Soul music gained a strong voice while segregation separated the dance floors. John Waters' original 1988 film Hairspray displayed drag diva Divine as mother ...
|THEATER August Wilson's 'Gem of the Ocean' at Goodman through Feb. 27 2022-01-28|
- Goodman Theatre, 170 N. Dearborn St., is staging a major revival of August Wilson's Gem of the Ocean—nearlytwo decades after the play premiered on the same stage. It's directed by longtime resident director Chuck Smith, who ...
|DANCE Alvin Ailey company at Auditorium Theatre on March 2-6 2022-01-28|
- Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater returns to stages on a coast-to-coast national tour starting Jan. 28 in Philadelphia; kicking off Black History Month at the Kennedy Center in Washington, D.C. on Feb. 1; and traveling to ...
|Victory Gardens presents reading of 'exercise your demons,' a play on trauma of a gay male body 2022-01-26|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO, IL — Victory Gardens Theater presents the Ignite Chicago reading of exercise your demons: a play on the trauma of a gay male body written by Gage Tarlton and directed by Ryan Dobrin, with movement ...
|THEATER REVIEW The Moors 2022-01-26|
- Title: The Moors. Playwright: Jen Silverman At: A Red Orchid Theatre, 1531 N. Wells St. Tickets: $30-$40; ARedOrchidTheatre.org. Runs through: Feb. 27 "I've been employed in many houses," declares newly hired Emily, following her arrival at ...
|Hell in a Handbag Productions presenting 'The Drag Seed' 2022-01-24|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO (January 24, 2022) — Hell in a Handbag Productions is pleased to continue its 20th anniversary season with a revival of its popular comedy The Drag Seed, an unauthorized parody of the 1956 psychological horror-thriller ...
|PASSAGES Pansy Kings performance artist, education advocate Murray McKay 2022-01-20|
- Pansy Kings performance artist, education advocate, curator, designer and LGBTQ activist Edward Murray McKay died Jan. 4 of cancer. He was 53. McKay was born Oct. 2, 1968, in Brussels, Belgium. The family moved to Toronto ...
|THEATER Red Orchid's 'The Moors' running through Feb. 27 2022-01-15|
- A Red Orchid Theatre is running Jen Silverman's The Moors, directed by Artistic Director and Ensemble Member Kirsten Fitzgerald, through Feb. 27 at A Red Orchid Theatre, 1531 N. Wells St. The plot is as follows: ...
|THEATER About Face announces cast of queer-themed 'Laced' 2022-01-14|
- About Face Theatre begins its 27th season with the world premiere of Samantha Mueller's drama Laced, running March 17-April 16 at the Den Theatre, 1333 N. Milwaukee Ave. Set in the aftermath of the vandalism of ...
|Black Ensemble Theatre announces 2022 Season of Excellence: The Season of Healings 2022-01-14|
-- From a press release - Chicago, IL—Black Ensemble Theater's Founder and CEO Jackie Taylor announces its 2022 Season of Excellence: The Season of Healings. The 2022 Season includes four World Premiere musicals showcasing the power ...
|THEATER 'This Is Only a Test' Feb. 11-March 12 2022-01-12|
- Broken Nose Theatre, a pay-what-you-can theater company, is welcoming back live audiences this winter with the world premiere of Eric Reyes Loo's drama This Is Only a Test, directed by Toma Tavares Langston. The production will ...
|THEATER Queer-themed 'Queen of the Night' to run Jan. 29-March 13 2022-01-11|
- Victory Gardens Theater is slated to open its 2021-22 Mainstage Season with Queen of the Night, written by travis tate and directed by Victory Gardens Artistic Director Ken-Matt Martin. Queen of the Night features Terry Guest ...
|THEATER 'Mary Rose' running through Feb. 12 2022-01-10|
- Black Button Eyes (BBE) Productions is concluding its 2021-22 season with the world-premiere musical Mary Rose, featuring book and lyrics by Producing Artistic Director Ed Rutherford, music and lyrics by Jeff Bouthiette, direction by Ed Rutherford ...
|THEATER 'Queens of Infinite Space' canceled because of COVID 2022-01-07|
- With the increase in COVID-19 cases in Chicago and beyond, Proboscis Theatre has decided to cancel the performances of The Queens of Infinite Space set to run at Epiphany Center for Arts, 201 S. Ashland Ave., ...
|THEATER Steppenwolf delays '1919' premiere due to COVID 2022-01-07|
- Due to the COVID-19 surge driven by the Omicron variant, and out of an abundance of caution for public health, Steppenwolf Theatre Company has postponed its Steppenwolf for Young Adults world-premiere adaptation of Eve L. Ewing's ...