WINDY CITY TIMES
||U.S. COVID-19 death toll exceeds 1 million
This article shared 393 times since Thu May 12, 2022
One million Americans have now died from the coronavirus, according to an announcement President Joe Biden made May 12, according to ABC News.
The number of deaths due to COVID-19 is now equivalent to the population of San Jose, Californiathe tenth-largest city in the country. The death toll is still averaging more than 300 people a day, according to federal data
"One million empty chairs around the family dinner table," Biden said in a pre-taped video message. "[They are] irreplaceable, irreplaceable losses. Each leaving behind a family or community forever changed because of this pandemic. Our heart goes out to all those who are struggling."
Biden is ordering flags be flown at half-staff at the White House and all federal public buildings and grounds until sunset on May 16 in remembrance of those who lost their lives to the virus.
However, the impact involves more than the deaths.An analysis from the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences estimated that 9 million family members may be grieving the loss of a loved one killed by the virus.
This article shared 393 times since Thu May 12, 2022
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|WORLD Nigeria protest, 'Flag in the Map,' Belgium, McDonald's 2022-05-22|
- Dressed in rainbow-colored vests, members of the LGBTQ+ community marched in a dangerous demonstration in Nigeria's capital, Abuja, to protest a bill introduced by lawmakers in Nigeria's lower house of parliament last month seeking to ban ...
|COVID Chicago, Cook County currently still at 'medium' level 2022-05-20|
- Chicago and suburban Cook County remain at a medium COVID Community Level, even as case rates continue to increase throughout the Midwest and northeastern United States, the Chicago Department of Public Health (CDPH) announced May 20. ...
|Monkeypox in U.S., other countries; cases include gay, bi men 2022-05-20|
- The Massachusetts Department of Public Health and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) are investigating a confirmed case of monkeypox in the United States, according to a press release from the CDC Health Alert ...
|Five Worth Finding: Chocolate festival, lesbian sci-fi film, 'Smahtguy' 2022-05-16|
- —The Long Grove Chocolate Festival: The beloved Chocolate Festival will return to the historic streets and parkways of downtown Long Grove for the first time in three years, May 20-22. Chocolate lovers can experience so much—including ...
|WORLD Eswatini ruling, Toronto deaths, Greece, blood donations 2022-05-15|
- The High Court in Eswatini (formerly Swaziland) rejected an appeal for legal recognition by the local LGBTQ+-rights group Eswatini Sexual & Gender Minorities, citing "laws … prevailing in the kingdom" ...
|Judge blocks part of Alabama law criminalizing care for trans youth 2022-05-14|
- On May 13, U.S. District Judge Liles Burke blocked part of an Alabama law that made it a felony to prescribe gender-affirming puberty blockers and hormones to transgender minors, USA Today reported. ...
|PASSAGES Dr. David Ostrow dies at 74 2022-05-14|
- Longtime researcher Dr. David Gene Ostrow, of Chicago, died unexpectedly on Feb. 16 at home. He was 74. The cause of death was end-stage renal disease, according to the Tribute Archive website. Ostrow was born on ...
|Pro-choice coalition to rally May 14 in Chicago's Union Park 2022-05-13|
-- From a press release - 'Rally for Abortion Justice,' part of a nationwide 'Bans Off Our Bodies' day of action will takes place in Union Park, 1501 W. Randolph St. on Saturday, May 14 at 9:30 a.m. The crowd may be 25,000 strong according to organizers. ...
|Judge: Dallas hospital must start gender-affirming treatment for trans youth 2022-05-12|
- In Texas, Dallas County Judge Melissa Bellan temporarily removed all barriers for transgender youth seeking medical treatments from Children's Medical Center Dallasproviding a major win for doctors fighting to restore ...
|Dance for Life returns to Auditorium 2022-05-12|
-- From a press release - Chicago Dancers United (CDU), which supports the health and wellness of Chicago's professional dance community, announces the program for its 31st annual fundraiser, Dance for Life 2022, which takes place Saturday, August 13 at 6 p.m. ...
|U.S. Senate Republicans and one Democrat block abortion-protection bill 2022-05-11|
- On May 11, the U.S. Senate failed to advance a Democrat-led bill that would enshrine broad protections for legal abortion nationwidea vote triggered by a leaked Supreme Court draft opinion that indicates Roe v. Wade will ...
|HRC calls for passage of the Women's Health Protection Act 2022-05-11|
-- From a press release - WASHINGTON - Today, the Human Rights Campaign (HRC), the nation's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ+) civil rights organization, joined a growing number of organizations calling for the ...
|Running squad 'Team to End AIDS' calls for participants to raise funds 2022-05-10|
-- From a press release - (Chicago, IL) Over the last 19 years, TEAM TO ENDS AIDS (T2)—the only HIV charity fundraising marathon team in the Midwest—has raised more than $13 million for HIV/AIDS awareness and direct support for those living with ...
| Lightfoot, City Clerk Valencia announce partnership with UN Women 2022-05-10|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot and City Clerk Anna Valencia announced a partnership with UN Women's Global Flagship Program, Safe Cities and Safe Public Spaces. The initiative responds to sexual violence against women and girls ...
|Lightfoot announces a 'Justice for All Pledge' based on equity and access 2022-05-09|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO Today, Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot joined reproductive justice leaders to announce the Justice For All Pledge, in response to the leaked draft opinion by the majority of the Supreme Court of the United States ...