||Windy City Times' 25th Anniversary Issue Sept. 29, 2010
WINDY CITY TIMES PRESS RELEASE
This article shared 9959 times since Fri Sep 17, 2010
CHICAGO -- Windy City Times newspaper is celebrating its 25th anniversary with a special edition Sept. 29. The issue will feature front pages from the first year of the newspaper, in 1985, as well as columns and articles reflecting back on its founding.
As AIDS was devastating the community and activists fought hard for a gay-rights ordinance, Windy City Times covered some of the most important events and milestones of the Chicago, national, and international gay movements. Windy City Times has won numerous journalism and community awards, and several of its writers and editors have gone on to great acclaim in mainstream journalism.
Windy City Times was founded in September 1985 by Jeff McCourt, Bob Bearden, Drew Badanish, and Tracy Baim, along with dozens of freelance writers, typesetters, photographers, and other individuals. Both McCourt and Bearden have since passed away. Baim is publisher of Windy City Media Group, which produces Windy City Times, Nightspots, Windy City Queercast, and other gay media. ( Baim left the original Windy City Times in 1987 to start Outlines newspaper, and Outlines purchased Windy City Times from McCourt in 2000. )
"We have hundreds of people to thank for their work on Windy City Times and other related gay media in Chicago," said Baim. "We also could not have done this without the support of our advertisers and our readers. We also have a wonderful team of investors who have allowed us to serve the community these 25 years."
As all media face a changing landscape, Windy City Media Group has taken on the challenge. The company uses social media tools to reach readers, has an iPhone application, and is easily readable in text or document form on the iPad and other mobile readers that access the internet. Windy City Times is among the oldest weekly gay newspapers in the country and performs consistently well on reader response surveys.
"We consider ourselves a daily media company, and we post breaking news online when it happens," Baim said. "However, it is very important to stay committed to the print edition of Windy City Times, as many of our readers still need access to the print form to get news and entertainment stories about our community. We look forward to continuing to serve the gay community we are so proud to be part of."
The anniversary issue will feature a new design, as well as columns by writers who worked in gay media, and for Windy City Times, in the 1980s. The new design is by Art Director Kirk Williamson. Managing Editor Andrew Davis is coordinating the edition, and Director of New Media Jean Albright will post online-only features. Assistant Publisher Terri Klinsky, Senior Sales Associate Amy Matheny, and Business Manager Meghan Streit round out the Windy City Media Group staff, and they are joined by dozens of other writers, photographers, delivery people, and more.
For details, call ( 773 ) 871-7610, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org .
This article shared 9959 times since Fri Sep 17, 2010
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|'Mombian Database' released
- Mombian columnist Dana Rudolph has released the Mombian Database of LGBTQ Family Books, Media, and More, with more than 500 books, music albums, movies, games and toys for and about LGBTQ families. The site offers multiple ...
|Trump to skip Biden's Jan. 20 inauguration
- Outgoing President Donald Trump conveyed on social media that he will not be attending new President Joe Biden's inauguration. "To all of those who have asked, I will not be going to the Inauguration on January ...
|National LGBTQ organizations call for Trump's removal from office 2021-01-08|
--From a press release - New York, NY - Thursday, Jan. 7, 2020 - GLAAD, the world's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) media advocacy organization, along with leading LGBTQ legal, health, youth, justice and equality organizations, is callin ...
|Gay influencers called out for partying in Mexico during pandemic
- A social-media account called GaysOverCovid has been exposing the gay men of the world for continuing their hard-partying, jet-setting lifestyles in the midst of a pandemic, according to media outlets such as DListed.com. For instance, Chicago-based ...
|Pelosi narrowly re-elected House speaker 2021-01-03|
- On Jan. 3, Nancy Pelosi was narrowly re-elected speaker of the U.S. House, as she again leads the Democrats' slender majority, media outlets reported. After serving for 17 years in charge of the House Democrats, Pelosi ...
|'Cheer' star pleads not guilty to child-sex charges 2020-12-18|
- On Dec. 17, Cheer star Jerry Harris pled not guilty to new federal felony charges that he tried to lure minors for sex and shared sexually explicit photos with them, media outlets reported. The charges alleged ...
|COVID-19 Ellen DeGeneres tests positive; talk-show production halted
- Ellen DeGeneres has tested positive for COVID-19, and has stopped production on her talk show until January, according to media outlets such as Deadline and EW.com. "Hi Everyone, I want to let you all know that ...
|Actor formerly known as Ellen Page comes out as trans
- Elliot Page has come out as transgender. The star of movies like Juno and TV shows like The Umbrella Academy, formerly known as Ellen Page, posted about his transition on social media on Dec. 1, according ...
|Chicago's pandemic budget passes
- On Nov. 24, The Chicago City Council passed the city's 2021 pandemic budget. According to a media release, "The $12.8 billion budget was built in close collaboration with City Council members, labor partners and other key ...
|LGBT HISTORY: QAnon's 'SaveOurChildren' slogan has long anti-LGBT history 2020-10-17|
- Model and cookbook author Chrissy Teigen recently shared devastating news with her social media followers: she and her husband, singer John Legend, had lost their child halfway through her pregnancy. She shared heartbreaking black-and-white photos of ...
|WGN-TV features the life and times of Windy City Times 2020-10-11|
Video link below - WGN-TV produced and aired on Oct. 9 a segment on the history and contributions of Windy City Times, co-founder/owner Tracy Baim, staff, contributors and delivery crew. The segment was reported by WGN's Sean Lewis. Windy City ...
|WORLD Egypt arrests, Trans Legal Mapping Report, designer dies 2020-10-05|
- In Egypt, authorities are accused of using dating apps and social media to track down and arrest queer folks in their latest attempt to "clean the streets," Out.com noted. Human Rights Watch interviewed 15 people who ...
|History initiative pairs NYC and LA LGBTQ groups 2020-10-05|
--From a press release - Organizations from two cities rich in LGBT history, New York City and Los Angeles, are teaming up for the annual social media event #MuseumInstaSwap. Tomorrow (Tuesday, Oct. 6), the NYC LGBT ...
|LGBTQs likely key percentage of electorate 2020-10-01|
--From a press release - New York, NY, October 1, 2020 - GLAAD, the world's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) media advocacy organization, released the findings of GLAAD's 'State of LGBTQ Voters' poll which ...
|Windy City Times: Quite the ride 2020-09-30|
- The information superhighway… That old synonym for the internet (conjuring up days of AOL Instant Messenger and really loud modems) served as my entry into Windy City Timesway back in 1995. Two friends suggested that I ...