||Windy City Times confronts use of images in anti-gay ads
This article shared 613 times since Fri Mar 14, 2014
CHICAGO Windy City Times newspaper is demanding that groups mailing bigoted, anti-gay attack fliers against state Rep. Ron Sandack immediately stop using its copyrighted photos.
Literature sent by the Illinois Family Action and the Liberty Principles PACs both use the same image of Sandack at a marriage equality rally in 2013, taken by Windy City Times staff photographer Kate Sosin. The Liberty Principles PAC also sent literature out in favor of Sandack's opponent, Keith Matune, who has criticized Sandack's support of same-sex marriage.
"Conservatives claim to respect property rights," said Tracy Baim, Publisher of Windy City Times.
"Our Constitution protects the rights of these groups to send divisive, hate-filled mailings such as these," Baim added. "But they are using our image to sell a product, hate, and we did not give them permission. We ask that they immediately stop using copyrighted photos."
The literature also attacks Sandack for receiving donations from gay groups and individuals.
Sandack was one of three House Republications among the 61 reps voting for marriage equality in Illinois last fall. He represents the 81st District in the southwest suburbs.
Windy City Times is also pursuing other options, including possible legal action, to stop the unauthorized use of its images.
More details on the funding behind these attacks can be found here: www.allvoices.com/contributed-news/16686957-matunes-lies-about-criminal-history-put-wls-host-dan-proft-in-ugly-light and here www.windycitymediagroup.com/lgbt/Pro-marriage-equality-GOP-rep-taking-heat-in-bitter-primary/46612.html .
Readable image of the flier at the link: www.windycitymediagroup.com/gay/lesbian/news/photospreadthumbs.php .
See related coverage at the link: www.windycitymediagroup.com/lgbt/Pro-marriage-equality-GOP-rep-taking-heat-in-bitter-primary/46612.html .
This article shared 613 times since Fri Mar 14, 2014
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|BOOKS Lucas Hilderbrand reflects on gay history in 'The Bars Are Ours' 2023-11-29|
- In The Bars Are Ours (via Duke University Press), Lucas Hilderbrand, a professor of film and media studies at the University of California-Irvine, takes readers on a historical journey of gay bars, showing how the venues ...
|NATIONAL Bishop removed, business news, Jezebel shutting down, MAP head 2023-11-17|
- Pope Francis removed the bishop of Tyler, Texas—a conservative prelate active on social media who has been a fierce critic of the pontiff, PBS reported. A one-line statement from the Vatican said the pope had "relieved" ...
|SHOWBIZ Music awards, military film, Tom of Finland, Yo-Yo Ma, 'Harley Quinn' 2023-11-17|
Video below - Brothers Osborne—a duo that includes gay brother TJ Osborne—won Vocal Duo of the Year for the sixth time at the recent CMA Awards, per a media release. Backstage, TJ told reporters, "I did not expect us ...
|GLAAD to receive Television Academy's Governors Award 2023-11-15|
- The Television Academy announced LGBTQ+ media-advocacy organization GLAAD as the 2023 Governors Award recipient. Founded in 1985 by Vito Russo, author of The Celluloid Closet, and other LGBTQ advocates, GLAAD works with leaders in television, film, ...
|Gay Games dealing with backlash, low turnout 2023-11-06|
- Gay Games 11 Hong Kong 2023 (which is also taking place in Guadalajara, Mexico) is taking place, but is contending with some obstacles, including political backlash and low registration numbers, media outlets have reported. According to ...
|Queer athlete named women's rugby player of the year 2023-11-04|
- World Rugby announced that British captain Marlie Packer has been named this year's World Rugby Women's 15s Player of the Year in partnership with Mastercard, according to a media release. Packer received the award in front ...
|Suspect arrested in gay Philadelphia journalist's death 2023-10-27|
- Police arrested 19-year-old Robert Davis, who they say shot and killed gay journalist/LGBTQ+-rights activist Josh Kruger in his home earlier this month, The Advocate reported, citing The Philadelphia Inquirer and other sources. On Oct. 26, Davis ...
|GAY HISTORY MONTH The evolution of LGBTQ+ online dating 2023-10-21|
- Special to Windy City Times. To mark Gay History Month, the following article appears courtesy of LGBT History Project and Philadelphia Gay News. From casual hook-ups to friendships to meeting the love of your life, LGBTQ+ ...
|'Creepcast' creators discuss their spooky new season 2023-10-20|
- Longtime theater buddies Sylas Dean and the monomynous Stew have hit gold with CreepTime the Podcast, their very fun, very informative look at often unacknowledged stories involving true crime. Loyal fans, known as Creepers, tune in ...
|Georgia to cover gender-affirming healthcare for state employees 2023-10-20|
- As part of a settlement, Georgia's health-insurance plan will now cover state employees after the state agreed to a $365,000 court settlement with three employees, according to several media outlets, including The Georgia Reporter. Co-plaintiff Benjam ...
|Report: Chicago Sky to hire Teresa Weatherspoon as head coach 2023-10-11|
- WNBA icon Teresa Weatherspoonwho was inducted into the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame in 2019is reportedly finalizing a deal to become the Chicago Sky's newest head coach, according to several media outlets. During her time playing ...
|Gay Philadelphia journalist fatally shot 2023-10-03|
- In Philadelphia, Josh Kruger, 39—an award-winning gay journalist and former city communications specialist—was fatally shot inside his residence, Philadelphia Gay News reported. Kruger's body was discovered outside his row home ...
|GLAAD responds to Pope Francis' statement allowing blessing for same-sex couples 2023-10-02|
--From a press release - (Monday, October 2, 2023) GLAAD, the world's largest l LGBTQ media advocacy organization, is responding to Pope Francis' groundbreaking statement allowing blessings on same-sex unions. According to New Ways Ministry ...
|OPINION Social media use, mental health literacy and related problems among LGBTQ+ youth 2023-09-23|
- Special to Windy City Times Depression levels in the United States have risen steadily over the past five decades, and steep increases have been observed in recent years among children, adolescents, and adults under 25 years ...
|LGBTQ+ media welcome Press Forward nat'l media funds for local news innovation, survival 2023-09-12|
--From a press release - [CHICAGO] – Members of News Is Out, a collaborative of six legacy LGBTQ+ media organizations, have expressed support and excitement about the newly announced national Press Forward effort to support local media in the United States. ...