||Windy City Times confronts use of images in anti-gay ads
This article shared 79 times since Fri Mar 14, 2014
CHICAGO Windy City Times newspaper is demanding that groups mailing bigoted, anti-gay attack fliers against state Rep. Ron Sandack immediately stop using its copyrighted photos.
Literature sent by the Illinois Family Action and the Liberty Principles PACs both use the same image of Sandack at a marriage equality rally in 2013, taken by Windy City Times staff photographer Kate Sosin. The Liberty Principles PAC also sent literature out in favor of Sandack's opponent, Keith Matune, who has criticized Sandack's support of same-sex marriage.
"Conservatives claim to respect property rights," said Tracy Baim, Publisher of Windy City Times.
"Our Constitution protects the rights of these groups to send divisive, hate-filled mailings such as these," Baim added. "But they are using our image to sell a product, hate, and we did not give them permission. We ask that they immediately stop using copyrighted photos."
The literature also attacks Sandack for receiving donations from gay groups and individuals.
Sandack was one of three House Republications among the 61 reps voting for marriage equality in Illinois last fall. He represents the 81st District in the southwest suburbs.
Windy City Times is also pursuing other options, including possible legal action, to stop the unauthorized use of its images.
More details on the funding behind these attacks can be found here: www.allvoices.com/contributed-news/16686957-matunes-lies-about-criminal-history-put-wls-host-dan-proft-in-ugly-light and here www.windycitymediagroup.com/lgbt/Pro-marriage-equality-GOP-rep-taking-heat-in-bitter-primary/46612.html .
Readable image of the flier at the link: www.windycitymediagroup.com/gay/lesbian/news/photospreadthumbs.php .
See related coverage at the link: www.windycitymediagroup.com/lgbt/Pro-marriage-equality-GOP-rep-taking-heat-in-bitter-primary/46612.html .
This article shared 79 times since Fri Mar 14, 2014
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|'Mombian Database' released
- Mombian columnist Dana Rudolph has released the Mombian Database of LGBTQ Family Books, Media, and More, with more than 500 books, music albums, movies, games and toys for and about LGBTQ families. The site offers multiple ...
|Trump to skip Biden's Jan. 20 inauguration
- Outgoing President Donald Trump conveyed on social media that he will not be attending new President Joe Biden's inauguration. "To all of those who have asked, I will not be going to the Inauguration on January ...
|National LGBTQ organizations call for Trump's removal from office 2021-01-08|
--From a press release - New York, NY - Thursday, Jan. 7, 2020 - GLAAD, the world's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) media advocacy organization, along with leading LGBTQ legal, health, youth, justice and equality organizations, is callin ...
|Gay influencers called out for partying in Mexico during pandemic
- A social-media account called GaysOverCovid has been exposing the gay men of the world for continuing their hard-partying, jet-setting lifestyles in the midst of a pandemic, according to media outlets such as DListed.com. For instance, Chicago-based ...
|Pelosi narrowly re-elected House speaker 2021-01-03|
- On Jan. 3, Nancy Pelosi was narrowly re-elected speaker of the U.S. House, as she again leads the Democrats' slender majority, media outlets reported. After serving for 17 years in charge of the House Democrats, Pelosi ...
|'Cheer' star pleads not guilty to child-sex charges 2020-12-18|
- On Dec. 17, Cheer star Jerry Harris pled not guilty to new federal felony charges that he tried to lure minors for sex and shared sexually explicit photos with them, media outlets reported. The charges alleged ...
|COVID-19 Ellen DeGeneres tests positive; talk-show production halted
- Ellen DeGeneres has tested positive for COVID-19, and has stopped production on her talk show until January, according to media outlets such as Deadline and EW.com. "Hi Everyone, I want to let you all know that ...
|Actor formerly known as Ellen Page comes out as trans
- Elliot Page has come out as transgender. The star of movies like Juno and TV shows like The Umbrella Academy, formerly known as Ellen Page, posted about his transition on social media on Dec. 1, according ...
|Chicago's pandemic budget passes
- On Nov. 24, The Chicago City Council passed the city's 2021 pandemic budget. According to a media release, "The $12.8 billion budget was built in close collaboration with City Council members, labor partners and other key ...
|LGBT HISTORY: QAnon's 'SaveOurChildren' slogan has long anti-LGBT history 2020-10-17|
- Model and cookbook author Chrissy Teigen recently shared devastating news with her social media followers: she and her husband, singer John Legend, had lost their child halfway through her pregnancy. She shared heartbreaking black-and-white photos of ...
|WGN-TV features the life and times of Windy City Times 2020-10-11|
Video link below - WGN-TV produced and aired on Oct. 9 a segment on the history and contributions of Windy City Times, co-founder/owner Tracy Baim, staff, contributors and delivery crew. The segment was reported by WGN's Sean Lewis. Windy City ...
|WORLD Egypt arrests, Trans Legal Mapping Report, designer dies 2020-10-05|
- In Egypt, authorities are accused of using dating apps and social media to track down and arrest queer folks in their latest attempt to "clean the streets," Out.com noted. Human Rights Watch interviewed 15 people who ...
|History initiative pairs NYC and LA LGBTQ groups 2020-10-05|
--From a press release - Organizations from two cities rich in LGBT history, New York City and Los Angeles, are teaming up for the annual social media event #MuseumInstaSwap. Tomorrow (Tuesday, Oct. 6), the NYC LGBT ...
|LGBTQs likely key percentage of electorate 2020-10-01|
--From a press release - New York, NY, October 1, 2020 - GLAAD, the world's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) media advocacy organization, released the findings of GLAAD's 'State of LGBTQ Voters' poll which ...
|Windy City Times: Quite the ride 2020-09-30|
- The information superhighway… That old synonym for the internet (conjuring up days of AOL Instant Messenger and really loud modems) served as my entry into Windy City Timesway back in 1995. Two friends suggested that I ...