||Windy City Times confronts use of images in anti-gay ads
This article shared 4 times since Fri Mar 14, 2014
CHICAGO Windy City Times newspaper is demanding that groups mailing bigoted, anti-gay attack fliers against state Rep. Ron Sandack immediately stop using its copyrighted photos.
Literature sent by the Illinois Family Action and the Liberty Principles PACs both use the same image of Sandack at a marriage equality rally in 2013, taken by Windy City Times staff photographer Kate Sosin. The Liberty Principles PAC also sent literature out in favor of Sandack's opponent, Keith Matune, who has criticized Sandack's support of same-sex marriage.
"Conservatives claim to respect property rights," said Tracy Baim, Publisher of Windy City Times.
"Our Constitution protects the rights of these groups to send divisive, hate-filled mailings such as these," Baim added. "But they are using our image to sell a product, hate, and we did not give them permission. We ask that they immediately stop using copyrighted photos."
The literature also attacks Sandack for receiving donations from gay groups and individuals.
Sandack was one of three House Republications among the 61 reps voting for marriage equality in Illinois last fall. He represents the 81st District in the southwest suburbs.
Windy City Times is also pursuing other options, including possible legal action, to stop the unauthorized use of its images.
More details on the funding behind these attacks can be found here: www.allvoices.com/contributed-news/16686957-matunes-lies-about-criminal-history-put-wls-host-dan-proft-in-ugly-light and here www.windycitymediagroup.com/lgbt/Pro-marriage-equality-GOP-rep-taking-heat-in-bitter-primary/46612.html .
Readable image of the flier at the link: www.windycitymediagroup.com/gay/lesbian/news/photospreadthumbs.php .
See related coverage at the link: www.windycitymediagroup.com/lgbt/Pro-marriage-equality-GOP-rep-taking-heat-in-bitter-primary/46612.html .
This article shared 4 times since Fri Mar 14, 2014
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Illinois Latino Agenda issues statement on shooting of Adam Toledo 2021-04-15|
--From a press release - On March 29, 2021, 13-year-old Adam Toledo was shot and killed by a Chicago police officer. Since the shooting, there have been different narratives formed of who Adam Toledo was. Various media have made allegations saying ...
|LGBT media to boycott Georgia 2021-04-12|
--From a press release - The National LGBT Media Association (NGMA), composed of the 12 largest LGBT publications in the nation, passed a resolution banning meeting in the state of Georgia. The nation's largest LGBT media association today resolved to not ...
|Windy City Times publishes book of historical newspaper covers 2021-04-14|
- Windy City Times newspaper, founded in 1985, is publishing a limited-edition, four-color book featuring hundreds of covers from its own archives, plus covers from other LGBTQ Chicago media, including Outlines, BLACKlines, En La Vida, Identity and more ...
|Open TV (OTV) to return April 17 with virtual event
- The intersectional Late Show #OTVTonight is back, with a virtual event on OTV's app and on Facebook Live that will air Saturday, April 17, at 8-9:30 p.m. CT. Hosted by Open TV (OTV) founders Elijah McKinnon ...
|GLAAD Media Awards honors creative forces of change in media, culture 2021-04-09|
--From a press release, video below - Los Angeles, CA, Thursday, April 8, 2021 — GLAAD, the world's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) media advocacy organization, tonight hosted a virtual ceremony to announce the award recipients of the 32nd Annu ...
|LGBTQ critics group holding awards event April 18
- GALECA, The Society of LGBTQ Entertainment Critics Association, along with Karel Media, will present the 2021 Dorian Film Awards on Sunday, April 18, at 8 p.m. ET/7 p.m. CT on digital cable TV network Revry. The ...
|32nd Annual GLAAD Media Awards April 8 2021-04-01|
--From a press release - New York, NY - Thursday, April 1, 2021 - GLAAD, the world's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) media advocacy organization, today announced that CHIKA, Rebecca Black, and Niecy Nash's wife Jessica Betts will ...
|Pentagon reverses Trump-era ban on trans military service, GLAAD responds 2021-03-31|
--From a GLAAD press release - New York, NY - Wednesday, March 31, 2021 - GLAAD, the world's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) media advocacy organization, celebrates news that the Pentagon will issue ...
|Chella Man talks media endeavors, the fashion world, upcoming book, AAPI visibility 2021-03-31|
- The multi-talented 22-year-old, Deaf, genderqueer, transgender, Jewish, AAPI, artist and activist Chella Man has done more in his short life than most people achieve in their lifetimes. This includes a successful YouTube channel; TedX talk, modeling ...
|Sisters in Cinema names 2021 documentary fellowship recipients 2021-03-23|
--From a press release - CHICAGO, IL (March 23, 2021)- Sisters in Cinema, a Chicago based 501 (c)3 non-profit with an inclusive mission to center and celebrate Black girls, women, and gender non-conforming media makers, announced today their 2021 cohort for ...
|GLAAD, Athlete Ally respond to trans-inclusion letter
- Athlete Ally, a national nonprofit working at the intersection of sport and LGBTQI+ equality, and LGBTQ media advocacy organization GLAAD, responded to a letter from at least 5005 National Collegiate Athletic Association student-athletes sent to the ...
|SPECIAL ISSUE: AIDS at 40 2021-03-04|
- In this special quarterly issue, produced by Windy City Timesas as an insert to the Chicago Reader, Windy City Times speaks with long-term HIV/AIDS survivors, deals with HIV-positive representation in media, checks in on young activists of today ...
|Niecy Nash to host GLAAD Media Awards April 8;
WCT to receive special award 2021-03-03|
- GLAAD announced that out actress/producer Niecy Nash will host the virtual ceremony for the 32nd Annual GLAAD Media Awards, during which Windy City Times will receive a special honor. The organization also announced the awards ceremony ...
|Sisters in Cinema brings back Learn & Earn Program: Sisters in Cinema Newsroom 2021-03-02|
--From a press release - CHICAGO, IL- Sisters in Cinema, a Chicago-based 501 (c)3 recently in the news for breaking ground on their new Media Arts Center, is proud to announce the return of their Sisters in Cinema Newsroom Program, and ...
|Mike Madigan picks second successor
- On Feb. 25, Angelica Guerrero-Cuellar was sworn in as the new 22nd District state representative, media outlets reported. Guerrero-Cuellar is the second person to succeed now-former Illinois House Speaker Mike Madigan in less than a week. ...